Old School Modeling
Some years ago, I had trouble finding a good caboose kit for the CNR Wood Caboose.  I then thought about buying a Juneco Wood kit I had found on ebay.  Some wise modeller told me it was not worth the effort.

At the beginning of 2020, a friend of mine asked me to help him start such a kit he had bought cheap in a train show.  I told him to bring it home and we started the project. When he left, he left the kit on my bench for the glue to set.  I was supposed to bring it back to him the next week while visiting his layout for an operation session.  Then the COVID-19 struck and we where isolated from each other for much too long and had plenty of time for modelling.  So I finished the kit for him.

This was a completely new modelling experience.  I had to plan the assembly sequence differently.  Applying the decals was a nightmare as they adhered to the wood almost immediately.

Here is the result.

The wise modeler was right.  I will never do a wood kit again.
Guy from Southern Quebec.
I would say it was worth the effort Guy, it's beautiful!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Excellent work Guy---actually I have one of those Juneco kits on my shelf---now that you're a master modeller how about building another caboose   Icon_eek  Icon_lol.
You certainly did a nice job on it, Guy. Applause Applause Applause

However, I'm in agreement with you on wood kits...once I started working with styrene (and resin kits), I never used wood for modelling again, other than to make lumber loads for freight cars, mainly to use-up the stripwood that I had on hand.

Wayne
An outstandig work Guy Worship 

Lutz
Agree with everyone else, first class. Worship Worship
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Thanks guys with the comments.  I understand I did a pretty good job with what I had but I much prefer the finer details of plastic and resin kits for the efforts.

Wayne,  You are using the very same words that "wise modeler" has used years ago. Weird indeed. Icon_rolleyes

Ed, Sorry. I have written "I will never do a wood kit again".  Goldth
Guy from Southern Quebec.
Guy, you did an amazing job on that old "Juneco" wooden caboose kit!
I'm certain your friend loved the final results!

Greg
Hello Guy, I think you did an excellent job and you have a very lucky friend!
Serge
I think it looks great. I've built a couple of juneco cabooses in both CN nd CP versions.
I actually like occasionally building in wood, but I do agree that today's injection molding far surpasses the detail level of the older wood kits.
(07-27-2021, 10:27 PM)cnrglen Wrote: I think it looks great. I've built a couple of juneco cabooses in both CN nd CP versions.
I actually like occasionally building in wood, but I do agree that today's injection molding far surpasses the detail level of the older wood kits.
" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!!
I think those wise people should come out of their box and try different things. Model train using wood construction can be very nice to see.
frank
You should try things. Build a model not released by any model train company or one you can't find or afford. I would guess this method is called modeling. Model train people have always made something else from something they had. Some model train people just had ideas and made something from stuff, wood, paper, cardstock, cardboard, and plastic shapes. Taking something that looks like something and turn it into something else is a natural thing to do. 
 I seen this old lithograph of a 1840 view of a turntable, round house, locomotive manufacturing building, with a peak between two buildings showing a depot in the distance, off of Washington street in Jersey City. The depot was my first look at the first depot on the Hudson river across from New York City. I got curious and started looking for more info and something happened. I became a researcher. I thought you needed some kind of recognition or diploma from some  great researching place. Naaaa! All you need is to be is noisy and inquisitive and keep looking. 
Well I found a 1834 view, 1836 view, and others. At first the depot was just a long three track train shed, next a head house is added, one which is a two story building with a gabled roof and a bell tower with a Roman like battlement detail to its roof edge. Next a 1844 view of the depot head house is converted into a Greek temple like structure with a flat roof still two stories high with a different style of bell tower. A lot fancier one. also by 1848 2 more tracks have been added to the train shed on it north side. These new tracks are enclosed to protect patrons from the elements as they leave the train, also Hudson street has been closed and a sheltering structure is built connecting the railroad depot to the ferry depot  What railroad in 1848 can say it protects its patrons from the moment they step into a railroad station and exit at whatever stop they make from the weather. They are protected right up to where they exit the ferry terminal in New York City. It seem that on going work keeps upgrading this first depot on Hudson. Now information found show the New Jersey Railroad will build a second depot across Hudson street replacing this first one but keeping the first and reusing it for freight service. 
 Now I have the information what will I do with it. I have selected 1841 and here is what I did with it. 

(09-18-2021, 07:45 AM)toptrain Wrote: The First Railroad Depot on the Hudson (North) River 1840. | Flickr

That's some very nicely-done modelling, toptrain.   Applause Applause Applause

Wayne
(09-18-2021, 10:52 AM)doctorwayne Wrote:
(09-18-2021, 07:45 AM)toptrain Wrote: The First Railroad Depot on the Hudson (North) River 1840. | Flickr

That's some very nicely-done modelling, toptrain.   Applause Applause Applause

Wayne

Thank you! Doc.
frank