Cataloging photos
Charlie,

Thanks for the informative response.

I see that you are imbedding subject clues in the file name. In addition to Ransack, I would guess a search for CR 4444 could also be done using File Explorer, since the subject for search is explicit in the file name.  Your naming approach would be a big improvement over what I had originally thought about.  My proposal would have required some sort of index file to let me know which photos contained which subjects.  This in particular for older undated family photos.  Example, Dad's family album, many photos from 1920-s through 1940-s.

some thoughts ...

File name length:
In my former line of work, long filenames combined with long names for folders and their subfolders sometimes caused problems which I think are summarized as "file name bloat".  For linked excel files, this was a major issue.  (long descriptive names required by upper mgt).  Have you had any problems with longer file names?

Master copy: 
I see in your search example for CR 4444 that you seemed to have duplicate files in different folders. How do you keep track of the original, master file?  Has duplicate files an issue for you?

Software:
For my RR photos, I've been saving them in descriptive folders.  Usually places and year taken.  Okay for perusing, but not for easy retrieval.  I do have a very old edition copy of Photo Shop Elements.  I am under the impression it allows multiple catalogs.  So one catalog could be EMD locomotives, and another could be Pringle Yard.  The same picture could be indexed in both, while only keeping a single photographic file.  At least that's how I _think_ it works. I've been reluctant to do this, not wanting to risk compromising my original files.  Second issue, trying to not get too married to a particular software.  I've lost a lot of effort in the past when software companies disappeared, or no longer supported my favorite software.  I'm talking about YOU, AskSam.  (also 123, and Ashton Tate).

Thanks for your ideas.  More to come?
Still ruminating.... 
: )

Messages In This Thread
Cataloging photos - by hillyard999 - 02-02-2022, 12:55 PM
RE: Cataloging photos - by Charlie B - 02-02-2022, 05:44 PM
RE: Cataloging photos - by hillyard999 - 02-03-2022, 12:05 PM
RE: Cataloging photos - by Charlie B - 02-03-2022, 03:40 PM
RE: Cataloging photos - by hillyard999 - 02-05-2022, 10:27 AM