Cataloging photos
Another benefit of the agent ransack that I discovered is the ability to select the found files and use the copy command to copy the files to a folder. When I get all of my family photos labeled (I have had no trouble with long file names except for a few that the dvd burning software couldn't use) I can do a search for a person and then copy all of the results into a folder. 
 For the rail photos I plan on labeling the various freight cars and making individual files for different types, though the search is so fast  I may not need the individual folders. I already have some labeled in the file name I just did a search for Hopper and here were the results that I have just on this computer in my documents.     

I have also done over 5000 scans for the East Liverpool Historical Society and many were unlabeled glass negatives. I labeled them as the collection plus a number. The labeled ones of course got the ID in the file name in my standard format, and my cousin has been posting them to a facebook page and we are sometimes lucky to get some Identified. When we do I put the identity in the file name. 

I do have duplicates even on the same drive but some came from folders I made for other reasons and unlike analog with digital an exact copy has the same quality so I don't worry about what one is the original.  When posting photos here and to other sites I use the windows picture resizer to make the files smaller. I either copy all the pictures to a folder first then resize every one in the folder(labeling the folder as resized)and the upload them, or just select a few and resize using the function that makes a smaller copy but keeps the original.

I am trying to find a program that will add blank canvas to the bottom of a large batch of photos because I have software that will add the filename to this space and will keep the caption with the photo. 
Charlie

Messages In This Thread
Cataloging photos - by hillyard999 - 02-02-2022, 12:55 PM
RE: Cataloging photos - by Charlie B - 02-02-2022, 05:44 PM
RE: Cataloging photos - by hillyard999 - 02-03-2022, 12:05 PM
RE: Cataloging photos - by Charlie B - 02-03-2022, 03:40 PM
RE: Cataloging photos - by hillyard999 - 02-05-2022, 10:27 AM