Outland Models
Been looking for a kit that I can use for our upcoming challenge and I see where Amazon has a bunch of rather plain-looking N scale models really cheap...uh, reasonable. Icon_rolleyes  They look like they'd make a good source of parts for a kitbash of some sort, but I'm just wondering if anybody has use these Outland Models kits and are they worth the cheap...uh, reasonable cost, or does the price reflect their quality. Their details look a bit off scale and rough due to them being 3D printed, and their web site says they are closed during the Chinese New Year, giving away where they come from, so I don't know. It could be an interesting challenge or a total bust.

Here's one and here's another, so what do you think?
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Ahh, I just notice than there is a $6.00 shipping charge per kit that exceeds the cost of some of their kits, and shipping time is a few days to around six weeks, so I see direct shipping from China.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
The various office/industrial buildings look nice but the market building I would stay away from. And the 6 week lead time is probably overly optimistic. Shipping seems kind of high though at $6 each.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
(02-07-2022, 05:10 PM)FiatFan Wrote: The various office/industrial buildings look nice but the market building I would stay away from.  And the 6 week lead time is probably overly optimistic.  Shipping seems kind of high though at $6 each.

Tom

It's those plain-Jane buildings that are more appealing that I could do something with. But finding those shipping costs and lead time is a bit discouraging. One other thing, coming direct from China, you don't always get what's in the photos. My son Pat can vouch for that.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Days,  I did a search on ebay and maybe the price is the same but the shipping is always better or even free. I have bought a lot of LEDs and electronics direct from China and the price and the shipping is usually 2 to 6 weeks. Most of our model railroad items come from China so I don't feel guilty when I cut out the middle man, The Ebay support helps too when rarely needed. 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4...e&_sacat=0
Charlie
Thanks Charlie, I do notice that those on eBay are a little higher priced than those on Amazon to make up for the free shipping. I may just go that route, order a few to see what comes and if they are usable for what I intend. My big problem is that I'm impatient, that's why I like brick and mortar stores. Icon_e_biggrin
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Just did a little more digging and it appears that if you buy direct, shipping is $6.00 per order, regardless of how many items in the order. Also, shipping time can take up to ten day and is dependent on how many items you order, they say that they have no inventory but manufacture to order.

Gee, if only I had a 3D printer.... Waiting
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
(02-08-2022, 05:25 AM)ezdays Wrote: Thanks Charlie, I do notice that those on eBay are a little higher priced than those on Amazon to make up for the free shipping. I may just go that route, order a few to see what comes and if they are usable for what I intend. My big problem is that I'm impatient, that's why I like brick and mortar stores. Icon_e_biggrin

I just went to Hobby Bench and bought a Plasticville building.  Probably paid about $5 more than what I see online, but I am tired of shopping from my house.  Plus I like supporting the local brick and mortar.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
(02-08-2022, 03:58 PM)nachoman Wrote:
(02-08-2022, 05:25 AM)ezdays Wrote: Thanks Charlie, I do notice that those on eBay are a little higher priced than those on Amazon to make up for the free shipping. I may just go that route, order a few to see what comes and if they are usable for what I intend. My big problem is that I'm impatient, that's why I like brick and mortar stores. Icon_e_biggrin

I just went to Hobby Bench and bought a Plasticville building.  Probably paid about $5 more than what I see online, but I am tired of shopping from my house.  Plus I like supporting the local brick and mortar.

The last time I went to Hobby Bench I found that I had more N scale kits than they did. Which one did you go to? The one on Bell Rd. had one kit spread out to take up all the shelf space. They had lots of Woodland Scenic, but no Evergreen. They had a few train sets, but no individual cars.  Even their craft section was sparse. Plenty of R/C stuff though. If things have changed, I'd be glad to go back at any price just to be able to browse around since the only other shop that has anything is in Apache Junction about 60 miles one way.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
(02-08-2022, 04:37 PM)ezdays Wrote:
(02-08-2022, 03:58 PM)nachoman Wrote:

The last time I went to Hobby Bench I found that I had more N scale kits than they did. Which one did you go to? The one on Bell Rd. had one kit spread out to take up all the shelf space. They had lots of Woodland Scenic, but no Evergreen. They had a few train sets, but no individual cars.  Even their craft section was sparse. Plenty of R/C stuff though. If things have changed, I'd be glad to go back at any price just to be able to browse around since the only other shop that has anything is in Apache Junction about 60 miles one way.

I was at the 19th avenue location.  I didn't pay too much to the N scale selection, but it seemed like they mostly stocked stuff from the Bachmann and Atlas catalogs.  They did have styrene, but some of the shapes were out of stock.  Plenty of WS stuff.  Also a random selection of things that they probably have had for years - I know because some of them haven't been manufactured for over 20 years.  I go by there every month or so just for the heck of it.  Next time I am there I will let you know what the N scale selection is like.  I did manage to find exactly the structure I was looking for, and I was surprised by that.  Same thing happened with the Atlas signal tower challenge.  Thought I would have to mail order one and pay shipping, but turns out the LHS had one.  

BTW - I used to not mind ordering online, but now that I feel that is what I have to do, I am really starting to dislike it.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
(02-08-2022, 05:43 PM)nachoman Wrote: I was at the 19th avenue location.  I didn't pay too much to the N scale selection, but it seemed like they mostly stocked stuff from the Bachmann and Atlas catalogs.  They did have styrene, but some of the shapes were out of stock.  Plenty of WS stuff.  Also a random selection of things that they probably have had for years - I know because some of them haven't been manufactured for over 20 years.  I go by there every month or so just for the heck of it.  Next time I am there I will let you know what the N scale selection is like.  I did manage to find exactly the structure I was looking for, and I was surprised by that.  Same thing happened with the Atlas signal tower challenge.  Thought I would have to mail order one and pay shipping, but turns out the LHS had one.  

BTW - I used to not mind ordering online, but now that I feel that is what I have to do, I am really starting to dislike it.

I agree, I so much would like to support our local vendors, just that so many are gone and the one or two that are left don't stock much of anything. I went with Jerry about a year ago to that shop in Tempe, I asked the guy where his N scale stuff was and he pointed to an area that just had track. His Evergreen rack was just about empty. He said he could order what I needed, but then, so could I and I wouldn't have to drive an  hour away to get it. I might just go to that shop on 19th Ave. just to see what they have, even if just to pick up a few sheets of plastic.I've never been to Obie's. just crazy to drive that far.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and