Ranger station log cabin
I'm starting a new thread since my other log cabin thread is giving me a few fits, plus this is a new project. What I want to achieve is making a log cabin using the logs that Jim sent me. Rather than notching the ends, I'll terminate each corner or junction using a vertical post. I have room on my layout for a park which will include the original log cabin, a ranger station/museum and a picnic area surrounded by a chain link fence.

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Here's where I am now. I glued the logs to heavy paper, cut them to the right size and glued them to a plastic sheet. Not sure where I'm going from here, this one I'm kind of winging it as I go. I think I'll paint everything with a black base so that the cracks between some logs won't show, I do not plan on doing any chinking, so the logs will be painted to look like stripped raw wood and not weathered.

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Neat project Don!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Thanks Mike, yeah, it's fun, a lot different than the other one. Here's where I am now, got the basic paint done, shows where I need some work filling in as well as removing and smoothing, but regardless, it's progress... Dodgy

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Looking good Don. I have never had any luck scratch building, heck I have trouble putting the plasticville snap kits together.  Icon_e_biggrin
I really enjoy your builds. 
Charlie
Nice looking cabin thus far. Can't wait to see it finished.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Don, I should have sent this link a long time ago but my addled mind didn't think of it. Scroll through the photos for pictures of several log cabins that our locals have rebuilt in our state park. They are scattered through out the site.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=...&sk=photos
Charlie
Thank you all for your great comments, I enjoy doing scratchbuilding, especially since I'm running out of kits to build.

Charlie, thanks for the link, I looked over those photos, and it reminded me that my original cabin needs an outhouse. Yup, no indoor plumbing and I forgot that one essential need. Icon_redface I will tend to that as soon as I finish the ranger station, meanwhile, I guess they'll just have to use the local gas station or hitch a horse up and ride over to Denny's.... Goldth I'm sure there were Denny's back in the 1800's weren't there? Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Don,

instead of words: Worship Applause Thumbsup Cool

Lutz
Thank you Lutz, I appreciate everyone's comments. As usual, I always see the flaws and don't think what I do has that much merit, but thank you all for sure.... Icon_redface

Here's the finished product, I will put it in Pioneer Park along with the much older cabin that I built a few weeks ago, and a yet to be build old outhouse. The final footprint dimensions are 4" x 2", or an actual 888 square feet.

And thank you Jim for sending me those logs, they no longer carry them at Home Depot and the freight from Seattle or BC would be outrageous. Icon_rolleyes

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Nicely done, Don. That came out really well.

So what's in the museum?
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
(10-27-2022, 10:33 AM)tompm Wrote: Nicely done, Don. That came out really well.

So what's in the museum?

Thanks Tom. "What's in the museum", you ask, well, small stuff, lots of very small things from the era.  Icon_e_surprised
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
(10-27-2022, 12:39 PM)ezdays Wrote:
(10-27-2022, 10:33 AM)tompm Wrote: Nicely done, Don. That came out really well.

So what's in the museum?

Thanks Tom. "What's in the museum", you ask, well, small stuff, lots of very small things from the era.  Icon_e_surprised

Nicely-done, Don.  I'm sure that small-stuff includes Little Miss Muppet, and her entourage of leprechauns, too.

Wayne
Don, it looks good, i haven't replied to this thread because I've been looking for a photo of the remains of an old cabin made with corner posts with logs notched into the corner post can't seem to find it now it might be a slide. did see one other cabin with corner posts in a long-abandoned town call Balfour they used pegs that if i remember right were about two inched to hold the side logs in place. is the museum a free one ?
Jim
Golly guys, thanks, the museum is free, supported by your tax dollars and generous contributions from our benefactors. As for what we have there, if it's older than me and small enough to hold, then we have it. Awesome

Jim, I went with the corner posts to avoid having to do any notching or mortising. We can pretend they're there though. Icon_rolleyes

This is my next project, I might make a two-holer though since we do expect a lot of visitors to the park.... 

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and