Dpm series 2 kits
anyone here assembled a DPM series 2 kit , if so were you shocked to find that the separate doors and windows were a scale 12 or 13 inches thick , just cant  live with the glazing that far back so i modified some Tichy windows to fit openings but could not find doors that would work so i set doors up in mill and took mullins down to 2 inches, improved looks. ant one else had this problem with the series 2 kits?
Jim
(01-23-2023, 05:16 PM)jim currie Wrote: anyone here assembled a DPM series 2 kit , if so were you shocked to find that the separate doors and windows were a scale 12 or 13 inches thick , just cant  live with the glazing that far back so i modified some Tichy windows to fit openings but could not find doors that would work so i set doors up in mill and took mullins down to 2 inches, improved looks. ant one else had this problem with the series 2 kits?
Jim

Just to let you know I am paying attention my answer is no but what you have done sounds like a good fix. It seems like thickness is something that often isn't to scale. many times it is for strength and does not show but in your case the fix is needed. Good Job. Any photos?Charlie
I do my best to avoid DPM kits only because the doors and windows are molded into the walls. At N scale, sizing isn't as much a problem as is trying to paint them. The same goes for some molded in building trim, and I always use a magnifying lamp just to see how sloppy I get. Icon_cry
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
(01-23-2023, 08:59 PM)Charlie B Wrote:
(01-23-2023, 05:16 PM)jim currie Wrote: anyone here assembled a DPM series 2 kit , if so were you shocked to find that the separate doors and windows were a scale 12 or 13 inches thick , just cant  live with the glazing that far back so i modified some Tichy windows to fit openings but could not find doors that would work so i set doors up in mill and took mullins down to 2 inches, improved looks. ant one else had this problem with the series 2 kits?
Jim

Just to let you know I am paying attention my answer is no but what you have done sounds like a good fix. It seems like thickness is something that often isn't to scale. many times it is for strength and does not show but in your case the fix is needed. Good Job. Any photos?Charlie
 will try to assemble a photo show the windows are standard Tichy 8217 6by6 double hung windows that I removed the frame in my chopper.
Jim
(01-24-2023, 08:39 AM)ezdays Wrote: I do my best to avoid DPM kits only because the doors and windows are molded into the walls. At N scale, sizing isn't as much a problem as is trying to paint them. The same goes for some molded in building trim, and I always use a magnifying lamp just to see how sloppy I get. Icon_cry
molded  in windows are not a real problem to paint in ho but they still set glazing to far back so i have used mill to thin sides, just doing around windows  doesn't affect strength of sides. Jim
ok CB the photos are not the best as i still haven't mastered the digital one but i think you can see the difference the first one is the DPM windows and doors the secpnd abd the third are a modified Tichy window (by modified i mean the woos frame removed ) the door is another Tichy with wood removed and shortened about 8 scale inches.
Jim

Attached Files Image(s)

Yes Jim the Tichy doors and windows are a great improvement.
Charlie