Which Decoder Should I Pick?
In addition to securing things, that stuff (particularly the 1/4" wide strips) are great for laying out the edge of roadways/sidewalks and applying Smooth-It plaster between.
Check out my "Rainbows in the Gorge" website: http://morristhemoosetm.wixsite.com/rainbows
(02-18-2023, 10:45 AM)Charlie B Wrote: Here is the foam I bought and I used it last night and it is perfect and really sticky. 1 roll will last a lifetime.  Icon_e_biggrin   https://www.ebay.com/itm/353393402342?var=622553892174
Charlie

I got the one inch. It can be cut down if needed. 
Charlie
(02-18-2023, 02:01 PM)TMo Wrote: In addition to securing things, that stuff (particularly the 1/4" wide strips) are great for laying out the edge of roadways/sidewalks and applying Smooth-It plaster between.

Thanks for the great idea Todd. This stuff really sticks, better than any of the others I have used and cutting in strips for forming roads is a winner.
Charlie
I can't take credit, Charlie, but thanks anyway. Woodland Scenics has a "Learning Kit" https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics....item/LK952 for road building which includes Smooth-It, some of this tape, black paint and some other doo dads. Rather than buy another kit I bought some Smooth-It in a quart container and a roll of tape for my road work. I've also found that white and yellow paint markers work just fine for marking the lanes after laying and painting the roads.
Check out my "Rainbows in the Gorge" website: http://morristhemoosetm.wixsite.com/rainbows
Well my first decoder install went south to disaster land real fast.

For this install I choose my PRSL Bowser Executive Line AS16 DCC ready locomotive. I decided to run the locomotive to make sure there were no issues. The last time I ran this locomotive there were no problems. I place it on the track and give it juice. At first nothing happens and then as the knob approaches three quarters the light comes on and loco moves at a crawl. I go to full and it is still crawling. Then it starts stalling on switch frogs. This is a loco with all wheel pick up.

I pull the loco off thinking maybe the wheels need cleaning. I pull out my Woodland Scenics wheel cleaning device. I turn the loco over and yes the wheels could use some cleaning but they are not too bad. However, I do notice a slight odor coming from the loco and my heart sinks some. I clean the wheels and put the loco back on the track. It ran slightly better but it is still having issues with the frogs.

I pick up the loco and turn it over. The smell of lubricant is much stronger. I take a close look at the wheels and the pick ups and they are swimming in oil.

I bring the loco over to the workbench and pull out the instruction sheet. First parts off are the coupler boxes. I remove the first one and there is a puddle of oil under it. I remove the shell and find the gears and housing are soaked with oil and grease.

[Image: j21ZWlm.jpg]

[Image: ZtyafEp.jpg]

I disassemble one set of trucks and wheels. Of course the wires come off the contacts. Upon a closer inspection the wires are in pretty bad shape and that is probably why they came off the contacts so easily.

[Image: MXMBaNM.jpg]

So now I am going to have to solder them back onto the contacts.

[Image: JuHs8wn.jpg]

I went looking for my soldering iron and could not find it. However, I found another still unopened. I was given a second one a few Christmases ago. I did not find anything else. The last time I tried soldering it did not go well. Therefore I most likely be posting a soldering help thread at some point.

I need to not get ahead of myself and finish cleaning the old oil and grease from the loco, reassembling, and lightly lubricating things. Then we will move to the soldering issues.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
My first attempt at a DCC install is done. It was a partial success.

The good parts were:
-The locomotive worked after the DCC decoder was installed
-I successfully soldered the broken wires back onto the contacts. My soldering isn't pretty but it worked as the locomotive does not stall on the frogs.

The bad parts were
-The locomotive I choose was a bad selection. Even after cleaning and lubricating it still is not running well. I basically need to order at least one entire wheel assembly because of previously unknown damage.
-Where I mount the decoder
-Organizing the wires.

I will be removing the decoder from this locomotive and returning it to DC. I have another loco I want to try and perhaps I won't have the other non-DCC issues with this one.

I thank everyone for their help and if there are any suggestions regarding mounting the decoder and how to organize the wiring I am all ears.
Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
Posting a picture here for a decoder install I have circled the socket. Did you remove a plug from this location?  I did find this on Bowsers site It appears there are 3 different boards depending on the version Yours looks like it can use either 

https://www.bowser-trains.com/history/dccdetails.html

(02-27-2023, 12:04 AM)Charlie B Wrote: Posting a picture here for a decoder install I have circled the socket. Did you remove a plug from this location?  I did find this on Bowsers site It appears there are 3 different boards depending on the version Yours looks like it can use either.

I did not remove anything. Once I saw the two sockets I stopped.

Thanks for the link. How did you find? For some reason I have a heck of a time finding things on Bowser's website.
Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
Since I ran into some confusion with the Bowser S-12 I moved on to find another locomotive. Since I only have one decoder I wanted a locomotive with the 8-pin socket that I would not be operating as part of a consist. The first one I came across is my IHC Premium Gold PRR Pacific. Adding the decoder to the socket in the tender took all of about 5 minutes. Everything is working fine.
Tom
My Rail Images Gallery