Rebuilding a Roundhouse Boxcab
Boxcab #3 has been picked up at the local customs office this morning. Boxcab #4 is still "somewhere" close to customs in the mail. Tracking ended last week in Frankfurt for unknown reason. I have started to prepare the GE 44ton drives with the usual support.

Both models are the first series of four boxcabs without the doors in the front and rear. I consider to modify one or both to get second series of five boxcabs.

This is what I got
[Image: Boxcab%20front%20without%20door_zpsjmhf11dg.jpg]
This is what I want
[Image: Boxcab%20front%20with%20door_zpsf4khyg4w.jpg]

I see two methods how to do that:

1. Create the new front/rear from scratch and glue it between the side walls not touching the sides at all
2. Modifying the front/rear by glueing small strips into the windows to make them smaller and fit a new door into a rectangle to be cut into the front/rear

#1 has the advantage to keep the model unharmed until I have created a new front I really like
#1 disadvantage is the extreme small space between the windows and the side. There is virtual no space left
#2 advantage is that it might be easier to do
#2 disadvantage is the very early point of no return and the cut door opening might have a rectangle shape or not....

Any suggestion taking my poor eye sight, clumsy finger and lack of patience into accounts ?

[Image: IMG_4377_zpsrjqyz4cl.jpg]

I changed the layout by glueing four small weights to the base frame instead of the sides of the shell. The large weight under the roof will be last. This permits better handling of the shell for modifications while the drive has more weight for test runs.

[Image: IMG_4380_zpsxboxruwt.jpg]

The truck side frames from LASERkit arrived too. They looks very good. The designed press fit is not useable for the new Bachmann models. The small support need to get larger holes to fit. I glued them permanent (CA) to the side frames and will use a "soft" glue at the truck side. I will give it a try with the wax glue when it arrives.

[Image: IMG_4379_zpsqz3ka82e.jpg]
Reinhard

Messages In This Thread