Just Getting Back in the Hobby
Welcome Welcome to Big Blue Cheers
From your list of "Givens", Modular would be the best way to go 48" X 20" (( 48" X 24" if you could stretch your reach just a bit )) modules, Perhaps a major rail line at one end, to pick up "inbound", and drop off "outbound" traffic.
The modules could have their own "legs", or, they could rest on an open bench-work, base.
I belong to a modular group, and my modules use a "simple open bench-work", that consists of four 6', " 2X4 I beams" ( 1" X 2" top and bottom, with a 4" vertical web made of 1/4" plywood, ), and four leg assemblies that the I beams bolt to.
It had to be portable.    
The "curtain" hides the bench-work, but you can see the bottoms of the leg assemblies, with the "Leveling adjustment bolts".
not all floors are level and even. Wink The beauty of this "Bench-work/leg assembly" is that it can be moved to a new location, adjusted to "level", and the modules, just sit on top...........easily moved, and readjusted for the new environment. :mrgreen:
The module behind the center one has its own leg assemblies. These are 2" X 2" , 34" long, the bench-work legs are 30"long.
I used the bench-work, to reduce from eight, to six, leg assemblies....two less things to carry Wink the I beams have "joiner plates' that bolt two each, of the four I beams, together at the webs, to make the 12' long base.
The modules are clamped together, where their ends meet.
This shot, taken at the last train show, clearly shows the I beams and their "joiner plates"

The "Three" have a trailer that they transport in, the center "back module" goes in the car.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread