Rebuilding a Roundhouse Boxcab
sailormatlac Wrote:....Another challenge will be to find a way to mechanically fix the shell on the underframe. I don't have yet an idea how I'll do it. Once done, the fun part starts by detailing and painting the locomotive. It shouldn't be too hard. In that regard, I don't plan to buy parts since I consider this a low budget conversion.

Matt

Nicely done, Matt. Applause Applause Applause

One easy way to affix the shell on the frame is with screws. For your boxcab, I'd put a length of 1/8" or 1/4" square styrene strip material, upright, in each corner of the body shell. Keep it short enough so that it doesn't later interfere with adding 'glass' to the windows. The bottom end of the strips should just touch the floor of the underframe when installed, so if the frame fits into the shell, place the strips recessed accordingly.
Any size small flathead, 3/8" or 1/2" long screws will work - 2-56, 1-72, 0-80, or 00-90. Install the frame/floor into the bodyshell, then drill appropriately for the chosen screw size. Remove the floor, then tap the holes in the square corner posts. Use the proper bit to enlarge the holes in the floor to clearance size, then use a larger bit to countersink those holes, so that the flat screwheads will sit flush with the underside of the floor when installed. For a 2-56 screw, use a #18 bit, a #29 for a 1-72, #36 or 7/64" for a 0-80, and a #42 or 3/32" for a 00-90.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread