Poll: Is using printed materials on models "cheating"?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Of course its cheating! Anyone can glue a picture on. What's the matter, too lazy to actually "model" it?
0%
0 0%
Depends. If used sparingly to "enhance" the model, it would be acceptable.
19.51%
8 19.51%
No, its not cheating. Printed materials are just another "tool" at the modeler's disposal.
78.05%
32 78.05%
I can't decide...too much pressure!
2.44%
1 2.44%
Total 41 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Is this cheating?
I would like to thank everyone for their input. I was a little surprised by the over-whelming popularity of option #3 (its not cheating). I was thinking that option #2 (depends) was going to be the most picked.

You have told me what you think, now it is only fair that I tell you what I think.

I voted for option #2 (Depends. If used sparingly to "enhance" the model, it would be acceptable.)

Maybe its from looking at picture after picture, reading article after article, showing modeling of such a high degree and the unbelievably hard work that goes into it, that just made it seem a little “wrong” to me.

To those of you who are familiar with how I model, that probably sounds strange coming from me. I could never be accused of being a rivet counter, far from it in fact. The first couple of years, I couldn’t have cared less about “prototype” (I still don’t worry about it), but over the last year or so, I have been striving for more believability and not being so quick to say “good enough”. This last project that I have been working on is by far the most detailed and time consuming model I have ever done…..it seemed a little “cheap” (as my kids would say) to use a printed picture (it does look that good in person btw) instead of a 3D material.

As many of you have expressed though, It’s really not about “cheating”….it’s about doing the right thing for a given situation. I don’t want to spend the money on a commercial product and I darn sure don’t want to sit here and cut 1000”s of individual shingles Nope .

I will experiment on these prints and see if I can add a little hint of texture, so I can at least say I did SOMETHING!.......LOL!

I need to remember......"If you're having fun, you're doing it right!"

Thanks guys
Steve

Messages In This Thread