Baldwin 1922 2-4-2.........an HO kit/scratch/bash
"This is a direct appeal from the decree of the federal court for Northern Ohio, setting aside an order, under the Boiler Inspection Act, entered by the Interstate Commerce Commission on January 5, 1933.

At the date of the order there were in use in the United States about 31,597 steam locomotives equipped with hand reverse gear and 28,925 equipped with power reverse gear.1 Prior to the order, Rule 157, which prescribes the reverse gear on locomotives, left it optional with railroads to equip them with either hand operated or power operated reverse gear.2 The order amended that rule so as to require the railroads to equip 'with a suitable type of power operated reverse gear' all steam locomotives built on or after April 1, 1933; and similarly to equip, 'the first time they are given repairs defined by the United States Railroad Administration as Class 3, or heavier,' all steam locomotives then in road service 'which weigh on driving wheels 150,000 pounds or more,' and all then used in switching service 'which weigh on driving wheels 130,000 pounds or more.' The order required that, in any event, all such steam locomotives be so equipped before January 1, 1937; and that 'air operated reverse gear (including thus power gear already installed) shall have a suitable steam connection' so arranged 'that in case of air failure steam may be quickly used to operate the reverse gear."

A 1924 Baldwin 2-6-2, at the Illinois Railroad Museum, has a power reverse, most likely a Ragonnet "early 1900's.
I will add the casting I have to my model. If the Warrenton hadn't done the required upgrade,by the Oct. 30, 1940 photo date, I'm sure the Beaufort and Morehead did, soon after acquiring the loco . With no RH side photos found so far, I'm relying on the above ruling to have made the addition "most probable".Additionally, the B&O C16a 0-4-0's had a similar power reverse (most of which was hidden inside the cab).
The 1924 Baldwin 2-6-2 had much in common with the earlier 2-4-2........I made several drawings, and took many measurements. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread