Your work area
I live in a 1 bedroom apartment right now, and was getting real tired of being cramped in a small work area with a small desk. There was barely enough room for a computer on it, let alone room to work on work stuff (it is also my office) and NO room for doing any kind of modeol projects. This past weekend I had went through one of those "Man, I wish I had my layout set up right now" moments I go through occasionally, and called my best friend to get some advice from him. Basically, I was looking for him to talk me out of dumping my living room furniture for a layout space. He didn't disappoint. He did however tell me that my layout (6' x 11') would be crammed in there, and I would get sick of tripping over it, and right now with the slowdown of business due to the economy, that I didn't have the money to work on it the way I wanted to, and he was right. He then suggested if I really wanted to utilize the living room space more efficiently, that I bring my old office desk up stairs and set it up, and that him and his daughter would help. It was bought brand new in 2005 when I had my training center here in Stockton and I spent nearly $2,000.00 on it, and it is a BIG executive type desk. When a certain class one railroad pulled out of the project, we had to close the doors, and the desk was disassembled and put into storage in my garage. Nobody comes over to visit but him and a few friends and occasionally, my younger sister comes by to use the computer (hers has been taken over by her daughter) and we haven't even turned on the tv in there in months. We didn't use the couch or coffee table. So, it went. When we move, we had planned on a new matching lving room set anyway, and a spare bedroom was going to house my desk and my office. So, we took the plunge Saturday morning, and by last night, we had that monster desk assembled. Now, my apartment is in disarray, and I have a HUGE mess on my hands to sort and organize, and put away, but I couldn't be happier right now. I bought a large self healing mat to put on the desk to work on model projects, and I need to put the 4 doors on the hutch still. I just ran out of gas last night, and went to bed around midnight. I should be sorting, organizing, cleaning and storing right now, but, I am sitting here taking a break. But I have an office, and within the next couple of days, my apartment will be clean, organized and back to normal.

By the way, as an aside, guess what Alicia found in our garage yesterday while moving the layotu to get the desk pieces out? My work keys, with all of my switch keys on it! I had lost those last year and thought I lost them at a client. Apparently, I had set them down in the garage and they became lost. I swear, yesterday was a red letter day. Cheers

[Image: newdesk1.jpg]

[Image: newdesk2.jpg]
Tom Carter
Railroad Training Services
Railroad Trainers & Consultants
Stockton, CA
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com">http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- m -->
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com">tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- e -->
[Image: gaugetraingifsigUP.gif]

Messages In This Thread