R.I.P. Model Train Magazine Index
I personally don't have the computer know how to rebuild the database or even suggest where to begin, but I know there are folks that do and I hope Kalmbach employs such folks. They do maintain a website and forums, afterall.

I believe there is the capability to scan articles into a computer then make the page searchable...perhaps in pdf form? Anyway, that would certainly take alot of time, but it's work a temp employee can do for minimum wage. All the programmer has to do is create the framework, I'd guess.

But like I said, I'm only guessing here since I don't have the computer chops. I still use my cell phone to just talk to people. I don't even text or send phone pictures or surf the web on my phone. It's a phone, not a laptop, and I like to actually talk with people.

But here's the word from the MR forum, from Besougloff himself, from the first of THREE locked threads:

Quote:Hi guys, Thanks for your comments about the index. I cannot emphasize enough that the index is 100% homemade. There is no sane way to extract the content and put it into a more contemporary database. The coding and the content are one. Even the clunky web interface, which one of the programmers here at Kalmbach built years ago, took a stunning amount of time to create. And now the index has become a security nightmare. This decision has nothing to do with bandwidth. The MR staff is just as disappointed as you are about the index since the staff uses it all the time. We do not have the resources to retype the entire index into a new database from scratch. I think all that can be said about the index has been said in this thread, so we will be locking this shortly. Sincerely, Neil Besougloff MR editor

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!

Messages In This Thread