Abandoned House Project
Very little progess, put the roof on this morning...pics later.

Been away to West Texas desert at an old abandoned ICBM Missle launch site to shoot some underwater video for an upcoming documentary by FOX about the Cold War. From above ground, this place would be unnoticed. There is nothing more than a small outhouse-looking building that you enter from and immediately start descending over 1/4 mile underground. After going thru multiple 3 ft thick doors, it eventually opens up to basically a miniature Air Force Base underground complete with control rooms, barracks, commissary, infirmary, etc. My Dad was part of one in the midwest in the late 50's and said they were stationed there for weeks at a time, much like submariners. Their sole duty was to launch a nuclear warhead in the event of attack. Apparently there are hundreds of these sites all over the country. Dad said there were a few above ground buildings, but not many as to not attract attention. This particular one is in the middle of the desert and rattlesnake country.

The launch doors are sealed and the actual 135' deep cylinder that housed the huge Atlas F missile is about 60' across. Pretty big firecracker! Over the last 30 years or so, the facility has slowly filled with groundwater seepage that is crystal clear and very cold - 55F! My job was to film the launch cylinder, and with special permission the launch control rooms and the other various submerged facilities. The producers are doing a story about the Cold War, and in particular will be taking some of the former military personel stationed there in the 50's and 60's back to their facility thru the film I shot and create some interesting stories of what they went thru.
I wish I could post some of the footage, but the producers won't give permission as it is now their property, thanks to a tidy check to me! I did post some pics I had from previous trips to give a little impression of what this facility is. If the show gets picked up, I'll be sure to let you guys know so you can watch....

Attached Files Image(s)

Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191

Messages In This Thread