Waiting during switching
Ed, thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions so complete!
I will, as you indicated, not do "real time" breaks but pause some seconds to simulate the work to be done by the switchman. Most important is not to align a set of turnouts from the central panel, run over all off them with the cut and set them back t one operation again from the central control panel. A turnout can be set locally only if the cut is close enough that a switchman can perform the task and return.

One more thing.. (you have been afraid of it:-)
a. I blow the horn - - . - before the crossing and until the crossing is blocked by the engine (or first car if pushing). In parallel the bell is ring constantly while approaching and passing the crossing. The ditch lights will be at full power together with the bell.
b. I ring the bell if the cut runs in an area (e.g. on the street running tracks on the pier at the south yard) where the train shares the traffic with automobiles or pedestrians.

It must be very noisy in areas like Vernon. The horn is blown frequently and the bell is switch on when the shift begins and stays on most of the time...
Reinhard

Messages In This Thread