Norfolk Southern are painted black...but which one?
Well the paint is dry. This is how things turned out. I appreciate everyone's support. (I humbly learned a lesson in patience and impatience.)

Notice the (I hope) improved location of the roof line. I really tried to correctly model that aspect of the high hood's feature. Once the bell assembly is attached (one just like the assembly that's on the first model attempt) I think this second attempt will have that "brooding" look that those high hoods are known for.

The only place you can see the over-spray is at the lower forward edge of the cab unit. (Mercifully it dried better than I had thought it would.) There's a dot of paint and a trail flow of extra paint at the bottom of the plastic cab on both sides. I'll try using 600 grit sand paper to file it down, then respray the front of the model one last time. Also, you can just barely make out the red plastic step color still visible. You can barely see that with your eyes, but the camera's long exposure and well lit room shows it plainly.

The couplers need installed of course, and the trucks were already weathered but will be cleaned up a bit since this unit is supposed to mimic a "new refurb" build.

Comments? Please...good and bad critique is appreciated. Thumbsup

Before...This model starting life as an Atlas low nose Burlington GP30 pictured with my first attempt at a high hood GP30 build...
[Image: P1030034.jpg]

[Image: P1030047.jpg]

After...with a new high nose and remodeled roof...All the wavy appearance of the second unit is just reflection from the white boards that line the layout's edge and various lights in the room. It isn't really that wavy...I just don't know how to photograph something that high gloss yet. It looks runny and wet, but it's really not.
[Image: P1080060.jpg]

[Image: P1080057.jpg]

[Image: P1080055.jpg]

Notice the subtle differences between the first and second attempt at getting that roof line right.
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)

Messages In This Thread