Waiting during switching
Brakie Wrote:Prototypical operation isn't for everyone ...
I would totally agree with that statement. Most of the model railroaders that I know or have met over the years have no interest whatsoever in prototype operation, but rather just like to run trains. I certainly have no problem with that.

Prototype operation isn't about adding a lot of "wait" time here and there, but rather duplicating the way a railroad really operates, even if in a simplified form. Simply operating at scale speeds and not rushing is enough to make any layout seem much larger. Time doesn't scale; a 1:87 scale train moving at a scale speed of 10mph, takes the same amount of time to cover a given distance as the 1:1 prototype does. If it would take a 1:1 switchman 5 minutes to walk from the end of a cut of cars to the locomotive, then it would take 5 actual minutes for your 1:87 switchman to walk that distance too. Sitting (or standing) with a big grin on your face, humming your favorite tune, and waiting 5 minutes for your switchman to walk to the engine, is a bit much and you'd soon tire of that.

A small ISL doesn't need to incorporate switching puzzles in its design in order to make the layout seem larger. Just following what I'd call "the basics" works just fine. Stopping to line your switches or before fouling a road crossing; spotting cars at specific locations at your industries; waiting a second or two before moving after you make a coupling and; operating at scale speeds is about all that is required. Those of us that manually uncouple our cars know that the act of uncoupling a car adds time to the operation and IMHO, makes things much more realistic.

As I've mentioned several times before, I find that just placing/pulling 4 or 5 cars at the handful of industries on my "proposed" ISL often takes 30 minutes or more and that is without having to add a lot of "wait" time here and there. If you want to add more "wait" times here and there to increase the time for an operating session, then the choice is up to you. You can have Special Instructions as the prototype does for specific industries or operations on your line that must be followed, but there is no requirement that you do so. Just following "the basics" is usually more than enough.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread