Big Steel! Update Feb 15/09
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:Can't wait for the pics.
Hey...Is that the "Jeopardy" theme I hear.......

Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol

Okay Ed, just for you here's an update. I've been working on the bridge crane kit for the dockside area. The main assembly is done. All the remains is the operator's cab and clamshell bucket assembly. I did not take progress pix - it's a kit after all. But will post the finished model.

Meanwhile, I have been working on a revised track plan for the steel mill area. I am going to have to add another foot of width to the benchwork to accommodate this plan. The tricky part was to get the high rail in to the blast furnace, based on some excellent advice from Dr Wayne. The high rail is in orange. Mainline is the thicker rail.

[Image: steel_trackage.jpg]

In figuring out the track, I've tried to set it up to allow for external loads in and out, as well as some internal transfers, which will be handled by the mill's own switchers.

I've been corresponding with Wayne, and he's been giving me some excellent info. He suggested getting 2 rolling mills for more flexibility, so that's what I've ordered. He also suggested 2 blast furnaces, but there just isn't room. I will have to use photo's on the backdrop to suggest more blast furnaces.

The rolling mill kits have open sides, allowing for detailed interiors. I have always loved the look of those giant ladles pouring molten metal, giant overhead cranes, and lots of stairs and catwalks - so hopefully I can do that in one of the mills.

Here are some shots that I'm using for inspiration.

This first shot is Stelco in Hamilton - the main inspiration for the mill. Taken on a little tour of industrial Hamilton conducted by Wayne a couple summers ago.

[Image: 4.jpg]

I can't remember where I found this second shot, but that's the kind of scene I'm going to want to build in the interior of one of the mills.

[Image: open_hearth_pour.jpg]

cheers
Val

Messages In This Thread