Liberty Industrial Spur
Steamtrains Wrote:
faraway Wrote:No way! You may be influenced as much as you like and the result might be as close as possible but you should build your very own layout.
ps. Sorry, if my wording is to harsh Smile

Though I agree with you guys, i'm going to argue the reverse- Why not use a working plan?

I mean, If I were to build a new layout now, it would DEFINITELY be something i'd design myself to fit into my unique prototypes. Many of us have been modeling trains for years, and we know what configurations of tracks work, we know what to look for in potential operational problems.

If you're new to the hobby though, you don't have that practical knowledge that one gains from expirience. If you've never finished a layout before, and you haven't had expirience like a model railroad club or something, trackplanning can be a difficult topic to tackle.

An existing layout (even more so a layout considered "successful") would be an excellent starting point for someone who has not yet learned the finer points of how model trains run in their environment. You can build it now, and know it will function reasonably well (assuming you don't cram to much into it like I do).

Now, Jumping back onto the original arguement-

You can use Lance's layout as a guide, but you don't necessarily need to copy it exactly. Study the lenghths of spurs, run arounds, and the required lead track distances you would need to switch those spurs and run arounds. Keep these figures in mind as you plan.

For example, just know how many freight cars a industry will take (and be conservative, since inevitably there isn't nearly as much space as there appears to be), know how long a track that requires, and then know how much space past the switch to that spur one would need to comfortably switch the industries.

if you determine "industry A" requires two plastic pellet hoppers, based on the size of the kit and how many loading points the industry kit has. Then you say "well, I want to run Atlas/Walthers 64' pellet hoppers, and they fit on approximately 20" of track to fit those two and let the locomotive straighten out enough to couple together".

Now you just need to make sure that when you switch the layout, there is space for your train to pull the hoppers beyond the switch and back them into the spur. IF those cars are right behind the locomotive in the consist, then you already know just about how much lead space you need.

Now just keep doing that for every industry on the layout, and stick thoses on locations along your main track that they can fit in properly.

You should be able to come up with something no problem.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread