Liberty Industrial Spur
hi
yes, just as complicated as connecting a snap-track and plugging in an electrical cord.
You do not even have to attach the tracks permanently to the cassette.
The question is different however. If you have a 8x1 layout board you can use just half of it without a cassette;
the Palmetto spur is a great example.
With a cassette the whole length is available. Arguments like, you can hardly see the engine are weird, unless your tracks are above eye-level.
The engine being on the non-modelled part (the cassette) often is true, adding some facing spurs (and perhaps a runaround) near the cassette and having most of the trailing spurs at the other side could be the solution.
Don't get me wrong, if someone like Lance Mindheim uses a cassette on his East Rail layout, a cassette seems something to think about at least. Which does not necessarily mean it is your cup of tea.
Without seeing the room or space where the layout is build, not knowing time and financial issues, plans are hard to judge.
One of the posters mentioned building the cassette would take to much of his precious time. If this really is true, building a very small layout could be the answer; the moment you start surrounding the drill track with a brick or concrete canyon, it will cost you many more hours. Beside the engine being not very visible behind the buildings as well.
It is about finding the balance, you seem to fear the cassette, i do not. The question should be: "what can a cassette do for you?" The answer might differ a lot depending on your or my givens and druthers.
Smile
Paul

Messages In This Thread