Another Question
jim currie Wrote:Russ not sure but i would guess it was a WW2 power reassignment.
Jim

I'm not sure about a power reassignment. I think that would be a lending type program where the power would go back to the original owner when the leasee got done with it. Santa e did buy some 2-8-8-2's from Norfolk & Western in 1942 if I remember correctly. The saw the huge fire boxes on them and suddenly realized why their various attempts at articulated always failed to work correctly. At one time in the 1940's they thought of keeping the 2-8-8-2's, and designing other big articulated's with the larger firebox designs that worked so well on the exN&W locomotives. Then as diesels became available after war production restrictions were lifted, Santa Fe dieselised and sent the 2-8-8-2's back to the N&W. I think the only ex-Pennsy power I've seen pics of on the Santa Fe were medium sized engines and the only ex-Santa Fe power I've seen on the Pennsy were heavy power, 2-10-2's and 2-10-4's, I'm wondering if both railroads orchestrated a trade for the size power that they thought they needed at the time.

Messages In This Thread