Prototype modeling - how far can you take it?
On the contrary, you completely miss the point. I only build models for the pleasure of it.

Here's a basic scale as to how much enjoyment I get out of watching a train run...scale of 0-100.

A string of B-man On30 freight cars lettered for C&S with an HO locomotive "converted" to On30 at the lead...rolling on EZ-track.
Enjoyment factor: 1. At least it's a train...

A string of B-man On30 freight cars lettered for a ficticious railroad and pulled by any old On30 locomotive...on a rudimentary layout with HO track.
Enjoyment factor: 10. I wouldn't spend my money on it, but I'll enjoy it. (-1 point is deducted if a drovers caboose is part of the train)

A string of Wiseman/Grandt Line/San Juan C&S freight cars converted to On30 behind an On30 locomotive on a decent layout with On30 track.
Enjoyment factor: 20. Getting much better

The same but On3 and kit built.
Enjoyment factor: 35...I'm enjoying myself now and wouldn't mind doing this sort of thing

The same but with an accurate C&S engine..
Enjoyment factor: 50.

A prototypically correct C&S freight or passenger train with at least some scratch built equipment and the rest either kitbashed or redetailed...no RTR.
Enjoyment factor: 100.

I enjoy the South Park's variety of freight cars. I enjoy the history of railroad brakes in the US. I enjoy the look of rough hewn ties with 35lb rail. I enjoy the distinctive style that sat Barney and Smith apart from Carter and Carter from Kimball and Kimball from J&S. I find that "rivet counting" when I build my models makes it far more enjoyable than opening a box and running stuff that I've built is far more enjoyable than stuff that was built in Guangzhou Provence or by someone else. It is for the very same reason that I appreciate the 1878 Litchfield boxcar sitting in the Como Roundhouse that I enjoy seeing a faithfully constructed On3 Litchfield boxcar. What is the threshold for it to be or not be a Litchfield boxcar? The brake rigging? The number of roof boards? The poling pockets? It's more fun for me to do it myself than assemble a resin kit...and if I'm doing the work, why not do it correct?

I do care what other people do. I greatly enjoy other people's quality modeling. But, manners and common sense dictate that I never criticize someone else's work unless they are a close friend and really want my opinion. I did come close to puking over the B-man mogul conversions in the current Gazette. The mogul looks nice, the ten wheeler is subpar, and the 2-8-0 is just plain terrible...but I'm not going to go out of my way to either criticize him nor to send him insults. I'm sure he enjoyed it...and he pocked a nice sum from Bob Brown. I suspect that some of the people whom enjoyed that article didn't care for the one I really liked: Boone Morrison's western photographers piece.

Prototypical modeling does not mean that your equipment is 100% specific to your prototype nor does it mean that you operate it exactly like the prototype nor does it mean that guest equipment isn't allowed. Building up a 100% DSP&P layout is for the satisfaction of recreating it. If people want to come over and operate it, then it will be 100% South Park. But the rest of the time it will also have: Oahu Railway passenger trains, Carson & Colorado freight trains, SPng freights, RGS passenger trains, EBT coal drags, D&RG 4-wheel cars, and various other trains that I'd like to build. I've thought about regauging a Thomas for when little kids come over to see my layout.
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread