Prototype modeling - how far can you take it?
How far can you take it?

I think that depends on alot of seperate factors.

1. The modelers drive. If they are looking for prototype fidelity, and are driven to attain it, then the other factors come into play.

2. Space. We all know that concessions need to be made for this, i.e. Selective compression. Space is almost always a serious limitation. If we had our own "Dream Train Room", I would wager that most folks would want more space.

3. Skill level. There seems to be a certain graduation level. From the 4x8 to the shelf layout to the multi level mushroom layout. Everyone starts at a certain point, and they develop skills as they go.

4. Money. In addition to more space, I bet we would all like more money we can devote to our modeling efforts. If you have the money, then you can get the space, and pretty much any other item we could wish for. With enough money, even skill can be overlooked. There are enough companies out there that would be happy to build a layout for anyone with the means. (That is another discussion all together though).

This is an extremely subjective concept. We all have our own level of "Close Enough". Some of us want to model every last detail, and that is fine. Some of us have no problem running "Shake the Box" rolling stock, and generic locomotives. That is fine as well. We all love this hobby, and we all have a different approach to how it should be done, to suit our own needs. As for the people who want to pick apart the work of others, and I am not talking about anyone here, they can pound sand.

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.

Messages In This Thread