CNJ 4-8-0
I am trying to get my scratch/bashed camelback finished for a north east prototype meet in October. I have bin working on it now off and on for about 5 years now Nope . The valve gear is my biggest sticking point. It has held up completion for almost 2 years. Constant binding and a few Walschaert explosions have caused me to put it down and walk away from it for months at a time, I believe this is try #4. I came across a book called Locomotive Valves and Valve Gears, by Yonder+Wharen. It is filled with info on this subject, perfect for what I need. I was working from old pictures, mostly at a 3/4 roster shot kind of angles, and my only measured drawings did not show the valve gear. I had to do a best guess at the sizes. After reading this book I found that my link was to large and radius rod were to long.I have cut down my radius rods and am now retooling the links. I also have to redo the valve gear hanger.

Here is the hog as it is today, I cut back the radius rods about 4 inches and re installed them on the combination lever.

This is a pic from the book showing there drawing and my reworked links next to them.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  

Messages In This Thread