Your Railroad Book Library
** The books I am interest in tend to favorite railroads around and at the turn of the century. Pertaining to before and after the year 1900. That is where my modeling has gone to in the last 3 years. My little library reflects this. The author I have the most books by is E.P.Alexander. I have seven." Iron Horse ", 1829-1900. "American Locomotives", 1900-1950. "Down at the Depot", 1831-1920. "On The Main Line", PRR in 19th Century. "Civil War Railroads and Models". "Collectors Book of locomotives". "The Pennsylvania Railroad" complete the seven. Alexander to me favored one of my favorite railroads, the Pennsylvania Railroad. Other PRR books I have are, "I Remember the Pennsy" by Don Wood. "Pennsy Steam and Semaphores", by Fred Westing. " History of the PRR", by Timothy Jacobs. "PRR Hudson the Horseshoe" , William D. Volkmer. "The PRR 1940-1950", By Don Ball Jr..

* I have been lucky in the last year of finding some interesting books by railroad people like Lacus Beebe. A few with Assistance from Glegg. " The trains we Rode", "Hear the Train Blow", and "Mansions on Wheels. Also Bert Pennypacker's books "Eastern Steam Pictorial" and "Reading Power Pictorial". My best book found recently is my only Thomas.T. Taber book that I own, " The DL&W Railroad in the 19th Century" .

*A must have for any steam locomotive enthusiast is Lin Westcott's Cyclopedia off Steam Locomotives. The many pictures here in this book show steam power in all its diversity through the years by wheel arrangement .

* A very different old book is " American Railroads in the 19th Century" by Jim Harter. It is a large book with 320 pages. All views in the book are from old wood engravings. Other books with good info are " The Iron Horse" by Comstock. This book shows what seems to be wood engravings but many are photos digitaly converted to engraving style views, or are just plain drawings. Next here is a book with many photos of other then, but includes many good American railroad prototype photos. "Railways Then and Now" by O.S. Nock. Another book I find good info in is " The locomotives that Baldwin Built" by Fred Westing. Also a huge book, 644 pages and also very big in size on American freight cars is, " The American Freight Car" by White. It is both big and heavy.
* Now my general reading railroad books I would mention are three by Ron Ziel. "Twilight Of Steam", "Steel Rails to Victory", and "American locomotives"1858-1949. There are two by G.B.Abdill, " The Locomotive engineers Album", and " This was Railroading". A book " Train Wrecks", by Robert Reed. If you like to see unique railroad station of brick and stone , though not on American prototypes but English is " Railway Architecture" by Binny and Pearce. This is a book full of interesting railway stations not unlike to ones built here in the USA.
* This rounds out my books that I view the most. I hope you like the post.
toptrain
" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!!

Messages In This Thread