Liberty Industrial Spur
Justinmiller171 Wrote:Hmm... I might, I mainly want to use some 40' boxcars, I know these began to disappear in the 70's. How much would there be in the late 70's?
Justin;
There were still plenty of 40ft box cars around in the late 70's to early 80's. Many of the short line railroads fielded 40ft IPD box cars during that time. Louisville New Albany & Corydon (LNAC) and Virginia Central (VC) are two that immediately come to mind. I have a 40ft LNAC box car myself and that fits just fine in to my 1979-80 time frame. Here's a photo of a typical LNAC 40ft box car of that time. Note the narrow 6ft door opening.     You might also find 40ft box cars for many of the large railroads still wondering around too, although they were disappearing as the demand decreased. It would primarily depend on what was being shipped as to whether or not a 40ft box car might be used.

Although designed specifically for the appliance industry, there were some neat looking 40ft and 50ft hi-cube box cars around then too, but I wouldn't over do that. http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default....D=ATH76621
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread