Liberty Industrial Spur
Justinmiller171 Wrote:Thanks Ed, could paper still be shipped in 40' cars in the late 70's ?
In all likelihood, your rolls of paper stock would be shipped in 50ft box cars and not 40ft cars. More cubic capacity for such a bulky commodity.

You could of course use a few 40ft box cars for shipping out your scrap paper. But my gut feeling is that all inbound/outbound box cars from a cardboard container plant would be in 50ft box cars in the 70's, even earlier.

You could get away with having a few 40ft box cars of lumber destined to your Lowe's facility, but even that would be rare in the late 70's. We handled lumber for the real Lowe's here in town and a couple of other lumber companies in 40ft box cars in the late 60's to the early 70's, but most lumber started coming in 50ft double door box cars or on bulkhead flats (no center beams then) by the mid 70's.

Unless you already have several 40ft box cars, I'd just forget using any unless you have another commodity that might be shipped in them. You'd probably have to back date your layout in to the late 50's - early 60's to justify handling paper in them.

Are you wanting to use 40ft box cars, just to increase the car capacity of your industry or just because you like the look of them? It looks to me like your single track for the container plant would hold quite a few 50-55ft cars. It all boils down to what would be believable for your industry.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread