Liberty Industrial Spur
Justinmiller171 Wrote:Thanks again Ed, I only have a few 40' boxcars, however my local hobby store doesn't sell much modern equipment, and I don't want to wait until there is a trainshow to get freight cars.
Well the quick cure for that is to order your cars from an on-line dealer. If your LHS is like the ones around here - they don't discount much, if anything, on what they sell. It costs me far less in the long run to order cars, track, etc., on-line and get them in 2 or 3 days, then to drive the 60 miles to the only well stocked hobby shop around and buy items off the shelf for retail price; the cost of gasoline and the required stop for lunch at McDonald's.

Justinmiller171 Wrote:BTW, because my railroad is set in logging country, would a lumber dealer be rail-served? I think it would be easier to just truck it.
If there were mills nearby, then yes, they'd truck in the lumber rather than ship it by rail, unless your dealer was getting his lumber from Canada or the southeast U.S. (Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana). You might need to relocate your line back to some other location if you feel the lumber dealer isn't a good choice for an industry.

Right off hand, I can't think of many industries in the late 70's that would be shipping/receiving a lot of 40ft box cars so finding a believable industry for your 40ft box cars will be a bit of a challenge. A small feed or fertilizer dealer might get a 40ft box car now and then, but again, in the late 70's you'd be far more likely to see 50ft box cars and/or covered hoppers at such a facility.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread