VERY crude experiment with turnout control.
When I first built my layout I was content to operate turnouts manually by simply pushing the throws by hand. Over time some of them have lost their firmness and don't stay in place while trains cross over them, causing derailaments. With scenery in place and obstacles under the layout to contend with I don't think I'll try installing electronic turnout control motors or the like. Besides, I'm on the thrifty side (cheapskate) and want to try to find an inexpensive and hopefully EASY way of creating remote turnout control.

I recall an article that was in either MR or RMC in the 70s that described a mechanical control system using weights and line to throw turnouts. I no longer have the article but my memory let me attempt an approximnation of that idea. What follows is a sort of mock up of the basic system to see if it would work at all.

Materials: Fine string, heavy metal washers, a small nail, thin coffee stir straws, and a small "window bolt". I had all of the materials on hand except the bolt which cost about $2.50.

Here's the way it works: a nail is fitted in the turnout throw rod. String is tied to it with long ends then snaking down to holes lined with the coffee stir straws. One string is weighted by heavy washers that keep the turnout in a default setting for the "main". The second string is threaded through the layout fascia and attached to the window bolt. I drilled a hole near the end of the bolt barrel to accommodate the string. When the bolt is in the top position the string has some slack which allows the weighted string to keep the turnout into the defaut position. When the barrel of the bolt is pulled down to the lower position it puts tension on the other string which pulls the turnout to the "spur" position.

[Image: 005-1.jpg]
[Image: 006-1.jpg]

[Image: 008.jpg]
[Image: 007-1.jpg]

I know this is crude and I can't expect that thin string to last forever. I'm pondering fishing line as a substitue. Ideally something dark colored. I'd make other refinments like clipping the nail and whatever else might be needed to make the whole assembly look more attractive.

I REALLY like the mechanical feel of operating the bolt. It's evokes (if one uses their imagination!) the physcal movement of having to throw switches either in the tower or on the ground. Makes a nice "clunking" noise as well!

I'm also thinking of painting a route map on the fascia that actually includes the bolts so it identifies which turnout is which, if I end up adding more of these controls.

Messages In This Thread