Roundhouse 0-6-0 vs DCC/Sound
********** VS DCC/Sound

With ALL DCC conversions, the first best thing to do is isolate the motor frame from the locomotive, and direct wire both motor brushes to the decoder.
Some motors have a frame that is isolated from both brushes, but so many, especially the older open frame motors, use the frame as one of the electrical contacts. ( pretty much a guarantee of DCC "shorts" )

In this picture, the modifications of a Roundhouse 0-6-0 to a Baldwin 2-4-2. My plans are to use a small can motor in the
"tiny little tender", coupling it to the gearbox with a short "cup and ball" universal shaft.

That tender is the same size and style as the one on my B&O C-16, 0-4-0. Two of the four C-16's were converted to C-16a, 0-4-0T, which was oil fired, for use on the docks.
Switchers, were usually operated fairly close to their water/fuel supply, so they could get a way with smaller tenders, and the slope back tenders provided greater visibility, when coupling/uncoupling.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread