Roundhouse 0-6-0 vs DCC/Sound
Matt!

[Image: dsc053527io1u.jpg]
The newer plastic version has an additional stepped idler gear. You can see it here. Module is 0.4

The older metal version lacks this. So the gear ratio is only 1:35. The module here is 0.3.

In my opinion 1:35 is a good ration for switching. Most of the better brass models of switchers have an similar ratio.
You can also buy an complete new gearbox from NWSL. But when using their 1:36 gearbox take care of clearances below the gearbox especially in conclusion with small diameter drivers. You have to remove some material from the lower gearbox cover in some circumstances.

[Image: dsc04845m5kp7.jpg]
In this case i replaced the original brass gear by an NWSL 1:36 direct gearbox.
Because of the small drivers of the USRA 0-8-0 i had to reuse the old gearbox cover.
And still some grinding on the lower bottom had to be done to make clearance of grade crossings.

I think if you have an good decoder and a good motor you can use the NWSL 1:28 gearbox. Much fewer stress to fit it.

[Image: dsc026191lufh.jpg]
This may be an example how you could rebuilt your Roundhouse 0-6-0 drivetrain. By using a new gearbox. The difficulty here is to make clearance inside the die cast frame for the gearbox. A lot of milling / grinding /filing is necessary.

The other and perhaps more easier possibilty is to fit a 0.3 module worm direct onto the motor shaft. NWSL has also different worms on their offers.
The difficulty here is to make the correct mesh between worm and wormgear.

Lutz

Messages In This Thread