Roundhouse 0-6-0 vs DCC/Sound
Time to reactivate this project.

My modelrailroading budget shrinked radically since a few weeks, which may turn out to be a good thing. I decided to start doing this project using pieces available in the junk box. The brass parts list was going to be quite pricey and I didn't feel like dumping over 100$ of brass part on a standard line Bachmann 0-6-0. That said, this model in DCC version has great running performances at slow speed, making it a interesting switching engine. Honestly, don't judge it by the outdated shell, because the drive under has more in common with the Consolidation.

Anyway, I decided to reuse parts from my other Bachmann bashes, including a consolidation cab and a few details from the mogul. I'm following CNR O-12-a class as prototype. I first removed all the cast on details, cut the ugly USRA cab (it may be my personnal opinion, but people at USRA had no taste when they design these diminutive cabs) and shortened the boiler.

[Image: 7379sb.jpg]

At some point, I had to decide if I wanted to relocate the running board to follow the prototype. It would have meant a lot of work on the boiler, the kind I didn't want to tackle. Also, I didn't put a twin air pump since I only had one on hand. Except that, I'm trying to follow closely the prototype. Most original plastic details like the bell were salvaged and reworked. The plastic whistle was transformed into a pop valve.

You'll see large copper rods inserted into the cylinders. The plastic bracket snapped while handling the drive, so I replaced it with something more sturdy.

[Image: IMG_2418b.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2419b.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2420b.jpg]

Overall, I think the general silhouette is relatively close enough to the prototype. The new cab really help to give a bulky look to this switcher.

I need to complete the air lines, the water feeder and reinstall new LED.

Also, if anybody have an idea how to replace the non-working front couplet with a real one without butchering completely the pilot, let me know.

The tender will probably be built from scratch with power pickups. Bachmann tender is crap and not worth reworking. I'm also thinking about putting the decoder into the tender and use a sound decoder. That would free some space in the boilet to put more weight.

I hope to complete this project by Xmas.

Honestly, I think this cheap locomotive is a good start for kitbashing. Well worth the money and you get a nicely detailled and smooth drive.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread