Roundhouse 0-6-0 vs DCC/Sound
sailormatlac Wrote:I'll have to give up about the self centering coupler... I hope it won't be a bother with a switcher.

Hello Matt!
Why giving up? A switcher without full working front and rear couplers is not a switcher.
I have studied your picture of the Bachmann front end. It seems to that there is only a small, narrow and thin "buffer beam holder" instead of an real frame extension. And it is exactly on the space placed were a coupler box should be.
I have also studied my 0-6-0 P2K and a brass 0-8-0 on the front end and did some photos:

[Image: dsc05631gcuu8.jpg]

[Image: dsc05630lau20.jpg]
This is the P2k front end. The frame extension is much wider and contains the integrated coupler box.

[Image: dsc05632muu9r.jpg]
The same from underneath.
Left a brass 0-8-0 which i have equipped with a original Kadee coupler box. When you use a Kadee whisker coupler, there is no need to have th full coupler box. You can cut off the rear portion behind the pivot and shorten it in this manner.

[Image: dsc0563392uvh.jpg]
This photo shows the more prototypical front ent of the model.
What is done here in brass can also be done in plastic.
My suggestion:
First, don't cut this Bachmann buffer beam holder. It will hold the buffer beam inn the correct place.
Build the two frame extensions out of 1,5mm styrene sheet, according to prototype photos.
Glue them into place, make an strong connection. The frame extensions can go beneath the cylinder block adding extra strength as pictured on the photo.
Then butcher the "holder" until you have enough room for the coupler box.
Glue coupler box into place, it may be useful to have it shortened.

My 2 Cents.

Lutz

Messages In This Thread