A tragedy in Arizona
You all know that several other members here besides myself, live around Arizona, but I think the whole nation, no, the whole world has been struck by this event yesterday. Wildfires and nothing new to our state, so far this year we've had maybe ten, but some fires have burned hundreds of thousands of acres others just a few. They sometimes take homes and businesses along the way and occasionally there is a loss of life, but not of this magnitude. Our hearts and prayers go out to these 19 firefighters whose lives were lost yesterday, and to their families. There are usually hundreds of brave souls fighting these fires along with air tankers and helicopters. These men and woman all take risks beyond what a normal person would, just so the rest of us are safe.

The current fire is near the small town of Yarnell, not that far from the fire that is just about fully contained outside of Prescott. Two weeks ago we spent a few days up in Sedona. I had thought about driving up the back way through Rt. 89 which we take occasionally. That route would take us through Yarnell, through Peeples Valley, Kirkand and then up Iron Springs Rd. to Prescott. We couldn't do that since Iron Springs Rd. was closed due to the fire. Fortunately, there were no injuries there but some people did loose their homes. Now Rt.89 is closed due to this fire. Yarnell is a small town of around 700 people, they are saying that at least half the town's homes are now gone.

We need to pray for the souls of the lost firefighters and to those that lost their homes. We also need to pray for those still fighting the fires that they remain safe.

Sorry if I ramble on, but this is certainly a wake-up call since many are started by lightning strikes, but a lot of these fires are started intentionally or by carelessness. It's hard not to shed tears over what is lost, and to be angry with those that start these fires.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD

Messages In This Thread