CNR MLW RS-18 (Atlas)
I'm surprised how much fun I have trying to figure out this model. Remembers me my first ever bash in college when I thought it was a good idea to use an Atlas C424 to make a M420!!! The angular roof was made out of a wooden window venetian store and I did modified the notches just like I did yesterday! Don't laugh, it wasn't perfect, probably out of proportions, but still more sturdy than a warping resin kit you fear to put on your layout when visitors are coming to operate! I wish I still had my 1974 RMC article about the M420 with scale drawings. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to figure out something again. Should have taken pictures of this bash back then. I remember people at the LHS were quite surprised to see the result. Gosh, I'm seriouly thinking I'm an Alco-holic... be it MLW steam or diesel! I wish someday a guy will put an Alco cab on a modern large 6-axle diesel... I miss those rounded cab design (the man behind this design was a pure genius!).

I gave some thoughts about it and it much more cheaper to acquire Atlas RS32 shell than buy different specialized part. This way, I'll get a proper fan, a decent radiators shutters (those on the RS11 are so grotesque, wasted 2 hours cleaning them!) and also the 3-units louvers. I'll will also provide door and other useful part for other bashes. All that for less than 4 bucks, when I could easily waste time and money otherwise.

Since I want to build a few RS18 (3 others, one CN and 2 CP in Maroon & Grey Script), I 'm trying to figure out how to streamline the process and get rid of irritating process. And I'll save myself some pain and money by getting Atlas Classic instead of Atlas/Kato next time, that way I won't need to rework some fans and the pilots, and shaving grabirons will be much, much easier!

BTW, I've got a question about handrails. I'd like to keep the delrin ones since these locos are on a club layout and they are resistant. MLW units had some minor differences from ALCO. I'm thinking about two options:

1) Cutting the wrong section and replacing it by parts correct sections of Atlas handrails. I would make a hole in both parts to pin and glue parts together.

2) This option involves a little bit more work: only keeping the stanchions, drilling them and using a brass wire to form new railing suiting my taste. It sure is a lot of works, but it may even improve the thick Atlas railing. However, I hate this option because I feel it will be harder to dismantle the unit after for maintenance. Am I wrong?

Best regards,

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread