CNR MLW RS-18 (Atlas)
Wayne! You say it! With my nasty cold, it's been my fourth insomnia in a row and my boss gave me the week to recover. So a lots of time on hands to think while eating oranges, drinking tea, taking pills and napping when I can!

It's almost a reverse engineering process, which is great in itself! The motivation is linked with the prospect of upgrading substantially (rebuilding) the layout Lairet Sub (aka Hedleyville). This hobby is always a long shot one... Things I thought 4 years ago came back and I now have a clearer idea of where I'm going. The club too and that's a good thing. But don't worry, I still have two steamers to complete (CPR 2-8-0 and CNR 2-6-0)... I always suspected my love for ALCO design was because they are diesels with steamer cabs that run long hood forward! And I'm still waiting to see the next installment about your consolidations. That project is really fascinating and inspiring. I still want to build QRL&PCo 2-6-0 #22 some day and I have to use a heavily modified MDC Harriman boiler to do so just like you did.

Back on the RS18!

Great info as always. I have the same feeling as you about the delrin handrail: they're practical... that's all. Atlas stanchions + piano wire sounds a nice idea! The result is lovely on your locomotives!

Quote:As for the intercooler, I wasn't even aware of its existence when I did the CPR units.

Probably the one thing P1K did darn good well on its model was the intercooler. I'll check Jerome's RS10 tomorrow at the club meeting and will decide if I cast or print it.

Your safety cab is amazing! Mine was kitbashed from a GP40 resin cab... At that time, I glued everything with CA, didn't know about putty... and made gondola cover from plastic recovered from yogurt container!!! Anything goes on!

Thanks for the scans! It was a case where some fellow needed M420 info and never gave me back my copy, except the cover! Nope

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread