UP SD40-2's NEW Layout
sailormatlac Wrote:You are on fire Deano! I wish I was progressing as fast as you! But maybe the trees will slow you down a little bit! Big Grin

Matt
Matt, home projects slowed me down to a dead halt for a couple weeks :| , but I am back at it now Thumbsup

I decided I just didn't have enough "operations", industries to work on the layout, so I ended up tearing up darn near the whole south side of the layout Eek .

I had just two sidings up on the layout as it was, have room for three but haven't put the third small siding in, but it just didn't seem to be enough Nope , so I opted to tear out my engine yard(really didn't make sense to be where it was anyways) and moved it by the freight yard. Moving the engine yard gave me a lot of real estate for industries.

2 SHOTS "BEFORE"
[Image: DSCN0504_zpskuf9hhz6.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0518_zpsakvmxoax.jpg]

AND AFTER...
[Image: DSCN1099_zps1wggb70d.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1106_zpsrgvodok5.jpg]

I have admired Wayne's "GERN" for years Worship , I had put a small one up on a previous layout, but I always wanted to do a rather large GERN since it really is the perfect industry for many different freight cars. My GERN is based in Southern WI, serviced by Union Pacific(did ya really think it would have been anything else other then UP Misngth ) during the merger years, mid 80's-early 2000's.
My GERN will have three sidings(possibly four) , one for boxcars, one for covered hoppers, and a siding for tankers.
**Don't pay attention to how the sidings are laying, they are not nailed down, not until I build the sections of GERN Thumbsup
[Image: DSCN1098_zpsc6wiesec.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1096_zpsprnbyoh6.jpg]

I have three kits for the GERN, plus I am making storage silos out of PVC piping, I am open for better ideas on making the silos Wink . I am also going to kitbash the building to make it bigger to suit my needs.
[Image: DSCN1103_zpsvrafbob1.jpg]

Anyways, I am 3% more excited to do this area now Thumbsup , it will really give me some great switching opportunities :mrgreen:
[Image: DSCN0513_zpsvg5mlacj.jpg]

When I finish the GERN area I'll post it in the GERN thread, but the building of it will end up here 8-)

Stay on track folks!
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]

Messages In This Thread