Teejay : get off your duff challenge
A new steam shovel might be shipped with the boom and shovel not attached, and perhaps with the stack not installed atop the boiler, although the photo below shows otherwise.
The April, 2006 issue of RMC had a fairly lengthy article on Bucyrus-Erie, but most of the loads shown were of parts or partial assemblies of much larger shovels and cranes.
Since the steam shovel appears to be weathered, I'd guess it to be travelling to a job site. Unless your overhead track clearances are very generous, the boom/shovel assembly should be lowered as much as is possible, with the control cab/track assembly moved closer to one end of the car to allow for this.

Here's a photo of shovels in transit, but it's not close enough to show much detail and the site on which I found it had nothing else which showed anything better.

I'd guess that there'd be at least a couple of chains or cables over the boom/bucket assembly, and perhaps some blocking fore and aft of the tracks...it's not likely that it would roll on its own, but careless switching might move it. The blocking would most likely be bolted to the car's deck or secured by extensions into the stake pockets.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread