L&N Industrial Rail Spur
Somehow, I think the Hialeah BlueLinx that Callum used on his layout is the visually most interesting.

I like what Callum did for a fascia front industry. Here is a quick attempt to sketch a H0 scale backdrop/end of line industry with 7-8 car spots in a 6x2 foot area based on the same prototype track and building arrangement (building at lower right is another industry in the prototype, but could be treated as part of the same larger industry):

[Image: hialeah-blue-linx.jpg]

Smile,
Stein
steinjr Wrote:Somehow, I think the Hialeah BlueLinx that Callum used on his layout is the visually most interesting.

Stein;

I agree. Callum pulled that off very nicely and looks better than having an "imagined" structure off the layout. Maybe not too practical for a warehouse type structure where you'd only be able to see the cars through the doors, but for the BlueLinx facility it came out great.

You did a nice job of capturing the look of that location in Hialeah, FL; and with just a little compression. Adding a 6 foot staging track or extending the layout with a "scenery only" area on the left side; you'd have a nice prototypical switching layout.

Wish at times that I'd gone with a layout depth of 24 inches rather than 18 inches; at least for the main industrial area, but I think I've worked out a plan that captures the look and feel that I'm after.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Reinhard, Stein, Ed - I don't know if you have come across this industrial Park in Olympia, South Carolina that has the ultimate in space saving tracks - 3-way turnouts!
It might be worth a look
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Olympia,+Columbia,+South+Carolina,+United+States&hl=en&ll=33.970894,-81.025758&spn=0.00856,0.01678&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=33.489543,68.730469&oq=Olympia,+south+carolina&hnear=Olympia-Granby,+Columbia,+Richland,+South+Carolina&t=h&z=16">http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Olympia,+ ... a&t=h&z=16</a><!-- m -->
Best
Jack
The tracks and buildings at Duval St look like one of us planned an ISL.
Reinhard
I think the "light bulb" just went on. I keep hearing people talking about modeling a Home Depot or Lowes as a destination for lumber, but I've never seen a big box store with train access! It just dawned on me that they probably have some sort of company distribution centers located in various parts of the country where they receive building supplies by railroad and then truck the stuff to local stores in the area. Does anyone know how many such places they would have or how far apart they would be? I am presuming that they would be within 10 hours from each other by truck so that no store would be more than 5 hours from a distribution center. I would think that they don't want to have driver's run sleeper cabs, pay for hotel rooms, or hire two driver teams to get product from a distribution center to a store.
Ed:Actually, lumber dealers and/or building products distribution centers are pretty commonplace on industrial spurs. I've found many examples while exploring different areas with Google/Bing.
-----------------------------------
Ed,I was thinking more on the lines of your common lumber company or home improvement centers .

I fully agree a lumber or building supply distributor could be found on a urban industrial branch but,I kinda doubt if a 76 lumber would be in a industrial park..
---------------------------------
Russ,Lowes or Home Depot could use a distributor for their store needs and have their order delivered by truck..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Lowes apparently has at least one dedicated reload center - 525 T S Wilson Rd, Frostproof, FL: http://binged.it/z5Y0H9

Smile,
Stein
FCIN Wrote:
steinjr Wrote:Somehow, I think the Hialeah BlueLinx that Callum used on his layout is the visually most interesting.

Stein;

I agree. Callum pulled that off very nicely and looks better than having an "imagined" structure off the layout. Maybe not too practical for a warehouse type structure where you'd only be able to see the cars through the doors, but for the BlueLinx facility it came out great.

I realised I have better photos of that facility. hope these help (rushed pics but give you the idea)

Been some time since I posted any updates on here, but I've been side tracked (pun intended) with working on a book and some other things and really haven't been doing much model railroading. Really want to get going on the layout now as I need the relaxation and diversion from the other stuff. After months, and months, and ... of planning and experimenting with different track plans, I've come to the realization that if I want to get this layout built, then I need to keep it simple, yet still be realistic.

I've spent untold hours on Google/Bing maps looking at various locations around the country and even experimented with different layout themes, but I keep coming back to the industrial spur theme and my goal of using the least amount of turnouts and track while still having destinations for all my equipment. One other point, for whatever reason, I keep referring back to Lance Mindheim's simple Palmetto Spur and the excellent version of it that alcanman (Mal) has achieved: http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=4317. So in that regard, I decided to see what I could do by simply extending that simple plan. This is what I've come up with (layout dimensions are 20 ft x 18 in):     The layout is strictly freelance and doesn't attempt to model any actual location, but rather it represents a "typical" industrial spur that might be found in any of the cities once served by the L&N and incorporates features found on many industrial spurs around the country.

I haven't completely decided on what each industry will be on the layout but have found many around the country that would work well for my equipment and interests. Although I'm not wild about it, the transload facility does have its possibilities so I have included that as a main industry. I've also included a commonly found feature of having more than one industry on a single spur (Industry C and D). Not only does it add visual interest by having the track swing from one structure to the other, it adds operational interest.

The black structures represent non-rail served structures, which give the layout that "concrete canyon" look so often found on industrial spurs and it helps to hide the staging track/switching lead. The highway overpass at the end helps disguise the end of the spur where it would connect to the main line. The final design might include a dummy switch just under the overpass to help give the impression that the railroad does actually go on to other points.

I'll probably lay this out today and do some test operating sessions and if it works out to my liking, then I can actually (finally??) start construction. I know people get worn out seeing the constant changes so I won't go any further with this thread until such time as I actually start building the darn thing.
Ed
Ed,
It looks like you'll have a blast with your layout/ Thumbsup
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Ed, Looks fine to me - that should give you some switching fun 2285_
Hi Ed,

Nice to see your new plan which looks great. I really hope you manage to build the layout, and would love to see your progress.

Thanks for the kind remarks, I'm still having fun with Palmetto, however, a new layout is being planned and building will probably commence later this year.

regards,

Mal
Layout videos - <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/user/Alcanman1">http://www.youtube.com/user/Alcanman1</a><!-- m -->

New Westbrook <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=8888">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=8888</a><!-- l -->
Ed,I like your current design.

Have you tried the test operation yet?

BTW..The benchwork for Slate Creek is built and I have reached the final plan in this 30 month ongoing saga.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Brakie Wrote:Ed,I like your current design.
Have you tried the test operation yet?
Larry, I'm still in the process of laying out the track and making some "minor" changes as I go. Had to quit working on it last night but am waiting for the boss to get home from her shopping spree so I can get back to it. I hope to get it laid out and operational later tonight.

One thing I want to do is to get this look for the warehouse/industries along the back side of the benchwork (apologies to cnw1961) - "shoebox" type structures, but with an assortment of car types spotted at them:     It's rather surprising what sort of cars you'll see spotted on industrial spurs by those "shoebox" structures - not only box cars, but tank cars, covered hoppers of all sorts, etc. Investigating what is in the structure has lead to some really good industry candidates and ones that aren't often modeled.
Brakie Wrote:BTW..The benchwork for Slate Creek is built and I have reached the final plan in this 30 month ongoing saga.
I heard that! Seems like planning is all I've gotten done for just as many months as you - time to get building! Just getting the track laid and structure mockups built will be a real accomplishment!
Ed
I would love to get my paws on 3 or 4 of those "shoe box" factories since they're the ideal industry building...

When you get this layout up share a few photos-you may have a idea or three I could ste-er,ah "borrow"..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry