Liberty Industrial Spur
This sunday is the train-show, I plan on getting mostly freight-cars, a least enough so that I can run a full ops session, I still don't fully know how to operate realisticly, can somebody explain to me what would be the best way to operate the layout?

Also, Is there any "fluff" I can add to my ops sessions to make them more enjoyable, I am worried that my railroad will seem too bland.
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
Justin;

I'm assuming that we're working with your latest industry set up (the peanut butter plant) so will try and give you an example of how you might operate it, using this diagram:     Cars marked with a black 'X' are to be left where they are (respots), those marked with a blue 'H' are hold cars to be spotted later, those marked with a red number are to be pulled and sent to the interchange and finally those with a yellow number are to be spotted. Here goes...

Since your inbound traffic is being interchanged from another road, then the inbound cars would likely be mixed up as far as their final destinations on your line. Today on the interchange (from left to right) we have a covered hopper of sugar to hold, a box car of peanuts to hold, a box car of peanuts to spot, a box car for the trans-load and a tank car of vegetable oil to hold.

At the peanut butter plant, we have an empty covered hopper and an empty tank car to pull off the short track and two empty box cars to pull from the long track along with a box car of peanuts, a covered hopper of sugar and a tank car of vegetable oil to be spotted.

There are several ways you could work this and as you can see, it can be quite complicated. I'd probably start by getting hold of the inbound cars from the interchange track then pulling the outbound empty (5) from the trans-load track and shoving it to the end of the interchange track out of the way. Then I'd spot the inbound load (5) on the trans-load and line up my three hold cars for the peanut butter plant on the trans-load track and the car for spot 2 at the end so they'd be out of the way for now.

Next I'd pull my three cars off the short track, set the two outbound empties on the interchange track then I'd line up my two cars off the long track along with the re-spot (leaving the car for spot (1)) and spot those three cars on the short track. Next I'd go back to the long track, couple up everything except the end re-spot car and working between the interchange track and long track, line up my inbound car for spot (1), the re-spot, grab my car for spot (2) off the trans-load track and leave the two outbound empties on the interchange.

Once I had my cars lined up to be spotted on the long track at the plant, I'd pick up my three hold cars off the trans-load track, couple them to the cars to be spotted and then spot everything on the long track and drop the three hold cars.

Last move would be to couple everything on the interchange track and shove to the end of the track. Using this scenario, I'd say it would take 60 minutes to get this work done and that's without having to add any sort of "fluff" other than just switching at prototype speeds and waiting a second or two between moves.

Hope this example is understandable for you. It's far easier for me to actually do the work then to try and describe it in print!
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
hi Justin,
to add some more complications you could imagine your train is made up at a yard east from this switching district.
In my drawing it is called fiddle-track; the yard is virtual. Your engine will push a block of cars around the corner.
Bringing in "fresh" cars, destinations are the interchange and cars for various industries.
Lots of work to do since some cars have to remain where they are, some cars have to be spotted now, some later and a few others have to be pulled.

Depending on the number of cars in your train it might be handy to have space to temporarely park cars. If the space you allocated is enough? Who knows. You can always add an other "storage track" later.

Also the runaround and facing spur I added in my drawing are complicating switching. And last but not least, your space will allow you to add some more industies if needed.

Cars have to spotted at the right doors too, my guess is you don't have to worry about dull operating sessions.

If you really would like to try something complicated, i would have a look at Bill Denton's Kingsbury Street layout. (101 More Track Plans)
Smile
Paul
Thanks for the help guys!

Ed, thanks for the explanation! That helps alot.

By "fluff" I was talking about things such as a history for my railroad, and it's purpose, I was reading Gary's thread about train job names and I started to think of having things like that on my railroad, I really like the Virginian & Ohio for it's realistic theme, I remember when I first got into model railroading I thought the V&O was a real railroad Misngth

In other words, I want to make my railroad more plausible, I can't seem to settle on a topographic location so I guess that should be my first step.
Justin Miller
Justinmiller171 Wrote:By "fluff" I was talking about things such as a history for my railroad, and it's purpose (...)
As far as a history for your railroad, you could go with any number of prototype scenario's where the line represents a short segment of a now abandoned main line that was preserved in order to continue service to the large industry (whatever you decide it should be). You can find a lot of contemporary short line or main line operations where this is the case if you spend a little time looking around. Over the past 30 years or so, many a short or even long branch line has become an independent short line because the big roads no longer wanted to deal with them and the short line could offer better service.

A typical example could be that when lines ABC and XYZ merged, line XYZ became redundant and was abandoned except in a few locations where active industries were located. Line ABC operated these branches at first, but quickly sold them off to short line or industrial switching operations and thus your railroad came in to being.

Justinmiller171 Wrote:I can't seem to settle on a topographic location so I guess that should be my first step.
A small switching operation like what you're proposing could be located just about any where you choose. I'd maybe just keep in mind the type of terrain you want to model, but even that is not a big issue as an industrial area like what you're modeling would, for the most part, be quite flat. Maybe some low hills, lots of trees and bushes, and one or two non rail served structures, in areas that are strictly for scenery.

Since your primary motive power (right now) is an SP prototype, then just pick a location that used to be SP and that appeals to you and go with it. Keep in mind that your upstart railroad probably purchased the locomotive used from either the SP or a locomotive dealer (or was included in the purchase of the branch) and it hasn't been painted yet (got to earn a little revenue first) or you could just paint out the SP lettering and substitute your own road name and reporting marks.     You could even say that your railroad painted and lettered the locomotive in SP colors to show the lines heritage. Several actual short lines have done just that.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Ed,Excellent idea on the SW7 but,I might go with less--just patch out the Southern Pacific and just add LIRY and cab number on the cab. :o
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Hey Larry,

Im doing the same for my Port Able Railway. I have a Kato phase 1 NW2 painted for the Southern Railway. I'm going to remove the lettering and add gold lettering decals from Microscale.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Mike Cool! Post a photo when you get 'er finished.

I like the idea of a industrial area/park having their own locomotive.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Will do!!!
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Justin,
What's your era or location. This helps with developing a backstory.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike Kieran Wrote:Justin,
What's your era or location. This helps with developing a backstory.

Era is 1970's, location is either California, Texas, Oregon, or Arizona
Justin Miller
Early or late 1970's? IPD box cars came up around the late 70's (1978-1979).

Also if you have a Southern Pacific Phase 5 NW2, Southern Pacific wasn't selling those off yet (although they might lease one out). You were more likely to see one of the other locomotive builders being sold off, especially the lower horsepower units (at least below 1000 HP). EMD switchers generally weren't sold off until the mid 70s, and with the economy, especially the railroad industry, not doing so great, railroads held onto their EMD switchers longer (same basic parts and reliability).

These guidelines aren't written in stone. Mopac and Atlantic Coast Line sold off some NW2s during the 60's. It's like Tony Koester preaches, it's all about plausibility.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike,You are correct by the 70s railroads was selling/scraping their Alco,Baldwin and FM switcher much faster then their EMD switchers..

However..

The NW2 may have been a candidate for sale or the scrapper since these units would be 30-40 years old depending on the production date(2/1937 to 12/1949)..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Absolutely Larry,
Phase 1 NW2s were being retired in the early 70's. However, Phase 5 NW2s like Justin's BLI NW2 were built in 1949 and were still being used into the early 80s. I'll get back to you on Southern Pacific retired Phase 5 NW2s by Monday. Justin mentioned that he had other locomotives, so he could use the NW2 as a lease locomotive if the LIRY's engine is in for repairs.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

I am modeling the late 70's, since my engine is in its pre-rebuild form I am going to say that the SP sold or leased it to my railroad before the early 70's rebuild program.

It seems that most of the NW-2s were used in Northern California, which would make a great setting for a layout since it is where I live Misngth
Justin Miller