PC Photo
I should'a figured..... 357
Gus (LC&P).
Well now I'm back I'll put one up for Ralph. This should be a great PC to model    
Nov. 20, 1976
Charlie
Thanks Charlie!!! Wow! Yellow Pennsy numbers as late as 1976 and the smallest PC logo on the side! Seems like exception was often the rule when it came to Penn Central equipment!
Ralph
Another use for a gp38-2    
Charlie
On a darned cold morning in January, 1977 These units were making their final journey to Chicago via East Palestine.                
These were used on locals in this area quite a bit by the PRR.
Charlie
Very cool photos!

I think I have a Black&White photo of that VERY same Amtrak train with the GP38 in one of my books. I'll have to check it out. Apparently, with the aging E-units coming apart, it wasn't uncommon for Amtrak to borrow a PC (or later Conrail) unit to get them from place to place.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
That last series was interesting but it made me sad to see them go. You are the hardy railfan standing out in that cold! Thumbsup
Ralph
It was about 20 below that day, and actually I was inside my parts dept and saw them backing up track one. I had missed seeing them going west and the train in front of them stalled on the little grade going west out of town. At the time the track was so bad the speed limit (The main Pittsburgh-Chicago) was 10 MPH, and many trains that would normally have enough momentum to make the little hill would stall. Anyhow, they backed them through the crossover at Buckeye and shoved them east to clear the crossings and circuit, then took the power to shove the first train to Salem. (20 miles west). They were there for about 3 hours. I told the service manager I was going to take a few pictures...He was always a good sport, and away I went. I was only gone about 10 minutes.
Charlie
A couple of questions for you Charlie...are some of those locos (like 8285) missing some side handrails or were they operated that way....and, are you going to model that trackside dealership on your layout? Seems like a natural! Thumbsup
Ralph
Ralph, I don't know about the Baldwin switchers, but the EMD SW7 I do know did not have side rails along the walkway.(Please don't ask me how I know they don't have railings)     The SW7 (and I think many other EMD switchers had a grab rail above the doors on the side,
The car dealership was in the corner building but in the 50's, my era, it was 3 buildings away from the tracks. I however, may do something to represent it, but the darned cars cost more than a brass locomotive, at least it seems that way.
Charlie
Ralph Wrote:A couple of questions for you Charlie...are some of those locos (like 8285) missing some side handrails or were they operated that way....and, are you going to model that trackside dealership on your layout? Seems like a natural! Thumbsup
Ralph

If you look, the handrails are bolted to the sides of the hoods on those Baldwins, its just that they camouflage with the rest of the black. I'm not sure why they are that way myself. I'm thinking it may have been cheaper, easier to maintain, or aesthetically pleasing.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Switcher type units don't typically travel at high speeds while being occupied by crews. They also tend to be just a bit lower to the ground. In many cases switchers from EMD and Baldwin did not have full side handrails, but rather corner rails, and a railing above the engine room doors. I cannot recall ever seeing an ALCo unit without full handrails. And of course, full handrails are standard for road units that will be occupied by crews while travelling at road speeds.

Dave
-Dave
East bound U-boat at East Palestine, Ohio, 1977    
Charlie
Penn Central former grain car or cement car?
[Image: 419984_3514449340393_1246718447_33665420...0112_n.jpg]
Matt
I can smell a steam post ten blocks away and when I do clear the tracks because the steam express will be hi ballin through
http://cambriaindiana.weebly.com/
Great catch Matthew! 2010?!? Wow!
Ralph