PC Photo
The radiator "wings" are found on U33/36B/Cs and all Dash 7s, but not on boats up to the U30/23B/C.
Fan of late and early Conrail... also 40s-50s PRR, 70s ATSF, BN and SP, 70s-80s eastern CN, pre-merger-era UP, heavy electric operations in general, dieselized narrow gauge, era 3/4 DB and DR, EFVM and Brazilian railroads in general... too many to list!
Ralph Wrote:Yep, I checked a couple of PC roster sources and you're right! I haven't developed a sharp enough eye to notice big differences between some U boats. I checked the numbering system and see that both U28Cs and U33Cs are in the 6500 series but they can be distinguished by the last two numbers. (6534 is apparently the highest a U28C was numbered.) Are there identifying features on the loco itself that help you identify it as a U33C?
Ralph

Ralph, I'm not very knowledgeable about diesels, but the overhanging radiator housing sorta tipped me off that it was either a U33- or U36C. I have to admit that I googled the loco number to make sure, though, before I opened my big mouth. Misngth
I read somewhere that the two looked very similar, and I used Athearn U33Cs to represent my imagineered C-36HT units:
[Image: U-boatphotos006.jpg]

[Image: U-boatphotos004.jpg]

The "HT" stands for "High Tractive (Effort)" - each loco has two can motors and weighs 33 ounces, yielding a measured drawbar pull of 8.3oz.:
[Image: U-boatphotos011.jpg]

Since I've back-dated my layout to the '30s, the trio of heavy-duty haulers now resides with my good friend Deano.

Wayne
Thanks guys!

Ralph
Quote:I read somewhere that the two looked very similar
IIRC, late U33Cs are indistinguishable from U36Cs. Early U33Cs (like the PC one in question) have the radiator wings tapered into the body - just compare it to the model.
Fan of late and early Conrail... also 40s-50s PRR, 70s ATSF, BN and SP, 70s-80s eastern CN, pre-merger-era UP, heavy electric operations in general, dieselized narrow gauge, era 3/4 DB and DR, EFVM and Brazilian railroads in general... too many to list!
This is an early morning shot Sept, 1977. Horseshoe Curve.
Charlie

Attached Files Image(s)

Caught this a few weeks back. There are three PC boxcars. You can see the first one, then the second one and the third. So here you go Ralph. Enjoy.

[Image: l_9e214a0f01da4852a695bc056b9e11af.jpg]
Matt
I can smell a steam post ten blocks away and when I do clear the tracks because the steam express will be hi ballin through
http://cambriaindiana.weebly.com/
Time for a little anti-depressant for Ralph.
Charlie

Attached Files Image(s)

I'm feeling better already! Nice catch with those box cars Matthew! Cool shot of the highest numbered PC power Charlie! Thumbsup
Thanks guys!
Ralph
Great PC photos guys brings back memories of when i was a kid and all i saw was PRR and then PC everywhere.
Then came the dreaded Canopener! Eek Curse

Was wondering if any of you would mind if i copied any of these pics for my own use?
thanks
Tony
Was wondering if any of you would mind if i copied any of these pics for my own use?
thanks
Tony[/quote]
Tony, I don't have any problems with that. It is my understanding you can copy anything for your own personal use. Just remember, emailing a copied document or photo is not personal use, although if you want to email my photos I don't care at all. I post to share.
Charlie
Here are two geeps with torpedos.
Charlie

Attached Files Image(s)

Again and again I ask myself...why didn't I take any pictures of the PC when I was a kid!?! Thanks Charlie for taking care of that for me!
Ralph
Ralph Wrote:Again and again I ask myself...why didn't I take any pictures of the PC when I was a kid!?! Thanks Charlie for taking care of that for me!
Ralph
And I ask why I never took PRR pictures, nor early PC too. I have watched trains as long as I can remember, and my mother tells me I watched trains with my great grand mother. My parent's lived in an apartment that overlooked the PRR branch along the Ohio River, and I remember watching the steam locomotives from the window. We moved from there when I was 4 years old.
I've never lived too far from the tracks.
Charlie
Here are a few more.
Charlie

Attached Files Image(s)

Charlie---again I'm totally amazed at your outstanding collection of photographs---thank you for all your contributions which make this such a great web-site Worship Worship Worship