"One Small Step For Man"......
Quote:Now if we could only realize his dreams of no wars, conflicts and other distractions.... Big Grin Big Grin

Romulans? Klingons? etc.?. . . . . maybe just a bit more than an "other distraction?".
Phasers, and Photon torpedoes, were not really "research tools". Goldth Goldth
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:
Quote:Now if we could only realize his dreams of no wars, conflicts and other distractions.... Big Grin Big Grin

Romulans? Klingons? etc.?. . . . . maybe just a bit more than an "other distraction?".
Phasers, and Photon torpedoes, were not really "research tools". Goldth Goldth
The original premise was that they were for protection... (think a policeman's Revolver" they are never supposed to be used for offense, only defense)

The largest thing brought forward was that the UFP Was using all of there assets and R&D for Space Exploration (To Explore strange new worlds)...

The Romulans and Klingons used their R&D and Assets for warmaking... That was a huge point he wanted to get across.. another interesting point is that the Vulcans where a Non-emotional race, based on the premise that they were supposedly a cousin of the Romulans, when they split off years before The UFP was formed. It shows how 2 "Kids" can grow up oh so different....

The Klingons represented the Russkies, The Romulans were just another race to not keep using the Klingons and in one show -- We saw the Yangs and the Chomes.... Yankees and Communists... Every show was a lesson learned... some very interesting teachings for a Cold War nation....
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Did anybody see the "docu-drama" about the moon landing on the H channel last night..?? Apparently Armstrong & Aldrin didn't see eye to eye....After the "deed" was done, they became friends....
Gus (LC&P).
I saw the documentary about the challenges the crew faced including information about how close the Eagle came to crashing with only 15 seconds of fuel left!
Eek
Quote:. Every show was a lesson learned... some very interesting teachings for a Cold War nation....

In a recent program, Nichelle Nichols, said she had gone to Gene, and told him, "I know what you're doing, you're writing morality plays". He reportedly laughed and said,"don't tell anybody".
What ever he was doing, it became five TV series, and eleven (so far) motion pictures. There have been several "specials", and a huge auction of "memorabilia". The "franchise", has indeed boldly gone.
Live long, and prosper.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
A follow-up....Is that incident about them using a pen someone dropped in the command module, to activate the ascent engine in the lander, true..??

(Pheewww...some sentence structure... Goldth )
Gus (LC&P).
Sumpter250 Wrote:
Quote:. Every show was a lesson learned... some very interesting teachings for a Cold War nation....

In a recent program, Nichelle Nichols, said she had gone to Gene, and told him, "I know what you're doing, you're writing morality plays". He reportedly laughed and said,"don't tell anybody".
What ever he was doing, it became five TV series, and eleven (so far) motion pictures. There have been several "specials", and a huge auction of "memorabilia". The "franchise", has indeed boldly gone.
Live long, and prosper.

I think you will find this at least partially true about a lot of television shows or movies.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
upnick Wrote:I'd like to know from you guys what does ........... '' ACA - out of detent." mean ?

The ACA is the "Attitude Controller Assembly" - the "stick/control panel" that allowed the pilot to do override the automatic system and make manual adjustments of the spacecraft's attitude during landing. The "detent position" is "centered/neutral". "ACA out of detent", probably means "don't forget that the controls are still set up for manual control".

I don't know why it was important to him to remind Armstrong about this right then.

It might have a gentle reminder to put the vehicle in neutral before letting go of the brakes :-)

Or maybe just "don't forget to turn off anything that doesn't have to be on, to avoid wasting power" - they did not have a lot of excess battery capacity, and needed to husband it pretty carefully.

Or something else.

A pretty detailed description of the ACA: http://klabs.org/mapld04/papers/g/g202_portillo_p.pdf

Grin,
Stein, who also has been a space exploration fan since early childhood
Steamtrains Wrote:A follow-up....Is that incident about them using a pen someone dropped in the command module, to activate the ascent engine in the lander, true..??

(Pheewww...some sentence structure... Goldth )

The documentary did include the story of Buzz Aldrin using a pen to activate the ascent engine in the lander. Something on the switch broke so they couldn't fire it up. For a while things looked grim. Then Aldrin used the pen. The documentary had footage of him years later holding the pen and talking about it. Apparently Nixon was so worried that the astronauts wouldn't get off the moon that his speech writers wrote an address for him to read to the nation mourning the lost crew.

Ralph
I was only 2 at the time so sadly I don't remember.