The Modesto & Empire Traction Company Layout Trackplan
shortliner Wrote:Josh - a suggestion - can you make "generic" Island modules that can be attached at various points around the layout. perhaps by adding a small, bolt on, "joining piece" at one or the other end? Building signs held on with magnets or velcro, so that they can be swapped when the island is moved to represent another part of town. Working on the basis that tin-shed wharehouses look much the same, it should be possible (perhaps with a couple of matching buiolding baseplates), to change out a couple of similar shaped(but differently coloured) warehouse/factories from one island into another neighbourhood, giving a completely different look and feel ( one might be cement block, another ali-clad, another brick etc. It would reduce the number of modules needed to be built and stored, and if the module is also reversible, give you different switching problems. Imagine for example that the Spenker Ave island in the last pic, had its top board rotated and then the island added to another part of the layout, perhaps part of the Codoni section. Just an idea!

I like the idea, but im not sure i could make a generic module that could be interchangeable. i mean im sure i could do that with alot of re-working and such, but then by the time im done editing it to make them all interchangeable, it wouldnt represent what i want it to LOL

I like your idea of interchangeable scenery/structures though, that would make it more interesting and give a little change in scenery for some scenes, thanks for that ill jot that down in my notes document Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Hey guys,

just to let you all know, the plan has undergone a MAJOR re-work/design. I decided to start a new thread for it and start fresh, Wayne and I decided it would be best to keep this thread alive and salvage it, so this one will remain up. There is some pretty useful information in the 2 pages of this thread that might be of some help to others thinking of doing a module layout, so this thread will live on Misngth

The link to the new thread can be found in my signature under the "Trackplan" hyperlink
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World