"New modules"

The new bridge got a paint job, and is ready for installation on the "backboard" module.
It's also time to connect it to the other two "backboards", so I can get the track placement correct, and have a chance to test operate the "new track", once it is installed.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I moved the "backboard module out front so I could better work on it. The train in the background is on the
'three module set ', at the front of the modules. The " land forms " are coming together, but I am still in the early stages of putting the scene together. In this first shot, you're looking straight up the length of the module, at the ' boatyard ' .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In this second shot, a closer view of the boat yard buildings, the marine railway, and the counterweight end of the rolling lift bridge, and the bridge-tender's tower.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here, the boat yard buildings, and the opposite end of the lift bridge. Here, clearly shown, are the two tracks, standard gauge, and narrow ( 3' ) gauge. These are just laid in place to check the bridge alignment.

Here, the whole bridge, and the opposite shore of the Lower Kennequogue River

There's still a ton of work that needs to be planned, envisioned, and done. So far, So good.....at least I haven't seen anything that screams to be re-done - - - yet Wink Wink 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
The bridge abutments, and the "sea walls" are built and painted, and the "marine railway" is built, and partial scenery is done. I need one more "visible tie" under the rails, and then two more painted in, that are under water. The unpainted ones will get painted when that last tie is made and placed. It will be "all but submerged".
The two gauges of track can be clearly seen on the bridge.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I like the sloop on the "railway", but I have a 66' hull, that I'm thinking about building a Motor Yacht with, to be displayed "hauled out".
I also found a winch casting that can be used to haul out the "railway's cars". I have to design and build those next.
Guess I need a "Hazmat crew" to clean up the polystyrene foam that got into the river . :oops: :oops: Big Grin

219 Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup 219

Looking awesome Pete !

Worship
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Thanks Mike, I'm hoping to have this far enough completed to use it at the next train display, June 29/30 in Kenosha, Wi.
I will have to get the track laid in, across the whole module, and all the wiring done, before then. Started designing the 66' yacht, based on photos I found in "Wooden Boat" magazine, of a 50' luxury yacht. The hull I'm using is from a Revell PT boat kit ( Nope not using the torpedoes, or machine guns. Icon_twisted Icon_twisted 357 357 )

Edit: For this boat............. Icon_twisted
2285_ 2285_ 2285_ 2285_ Big Grin 2285_ 2285_ 2285_ 2285_
Orphan Challenge: Day one, Hour one, Minute one:
This posting is the beginning of the "Orphan Challenge".
The goal is to be "show ready" - - there's too much detail work, for a total completion by show time. Besides, the reason for starting this in the first place is because the original 3 module set is at the " I can't find a place for any more details" stage ( I'm sure inspiration will make that statement relatively untrue. Popcornbeer )
Obviously, starting here on page 10 of this post, this has been a bit of an orphan.
Friday, June 28,2013 we set up for a weekend show at the Kenosha public museum, Kenosha, Wi., for showing on Saturday and Sunday June 29,30.

One of the goals is to build the marine railway "bogey/bogies"
The gauge on this railway is 10'. a single bogey will be good for a small craft. I will have to have two, to haul out the 66' yacht.

Progress !!
This first shot shows some "green" on the backboard module, and an "across the river shot of the marine railway". The 66' yacht is on the "railway" ( OK on its display stand, the bogeys aren't built yet )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Close-up shot of the yacht, and the railway. Not visible is the downturn of the rails, just after they enter the water. It's "different", but then again they had to get clear of the channel ! There's some deep draft vessels that pass through the double track rolling lift bridge, and not a lot of room.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Port side view of the "yacht", showing her PT boat heritage ( hull )

At this point, it's time to start building the bogeys......that yacht needs her "antifouling, bottom paint" renewed. Wink Big Grin
Looking good Pete. Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Thanks, Mike Big Grin I'm getting close to moving the module back behind the "set" so I can align and lay the track, and get all the new track wired. Five and a half days to "show time", at the Kenosha Public Museum!!
Looking very good Pete. Thumbsup

But astonishing for me you are using German buildings Eek
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.piko.de/pdb_de/index.php?page=detail&grand_id=200&parent_id=5&child_id=0&id=61101">http://www.piko.de/pdb_de/index.php?pag ... 0&id=61101</a><!-- m -->
Schraddel Wrote:Looking very good Pete. Thumbsup

Cheers Harbour scenes are invariably interesting, and when done by a craftsman like Pete, with a good knowledge of both trains and ships, the results are outstanding. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Schraddel Wrote:But astonishing for me you are using German buildings Eek

Not so astonishing at all, as there are so many nice ones available. With a few detail changes, they look good on just about any layout.

My Lowbanks locomotive shops started life as a Vollmer roundhouse:

[Image: CameraTwopix003.jpg]

[Image: Freightcarphotosandlayoutviews026.jpg]

[Image: Foe-toesfromTrainPhotos2007third-19.jpg]

...and the shop superintendent's office is also from Vollmer:

[Image: Foe-toesfromTrainPhotos2007third-21.jpg]

[Image: 2007-01-10017.jpg]

The car shop is, I believe, from Kibri, or maybe Brawa:

[Image: Kitbashingprojects627.jpg]

This freight house, still under construction, is a kit from Kibri:

[Image: GrandValleyfreighthouseforSouthCayuga004.jpg]

[Image: GrandValleyfreighthouseforSouthCayuga018.jpg]

...and the crane at the Dunnville's Walnut Street team track is also, I think, by Kibri:

[Image: Foe-toesfromTrainPhotos2007third-26.jpg]

I have several more, a few of them not yet built. Most of them are well-made and with a few detail changes and some paint and weathering, they look suitable in almost any setting. Thumbsup

Wayne
Schraddel Wrote:Looking very good Pete. Thumbsup
But astonishing for me you are using German buildings Eek

And with the last name Juengst, I shouldn't use any German buildings?
It was marketed as a Pola kit. I got it, along with several other kits, in a "Box sale" otherwise referred to as a "Boxful of stuff".
I got the other two backtables ( 10" versions ) up and adjusted, and started laying track on the new backtable. Hoping to have the rest of the track laid today, and start on the wiring. Only four days to go to "Showtime" 2285_ 2285_
It was about 2:00 AM this morning when I finally "called it a day". The new back table is wired, and both the standard gauge line, and the narrow gauge line, are operational. There's still some "tweaking" to be done, but it works !
I can get back to " buildings, scenery, the 66' yacht, the marine railway bogeys, and more scenery.
Tomorrow, right after lunch, I have to load the trailer and get the modules up to Kenosha, Wi. We start setting up at about 4:30 PM. The show runs Saturday, and Sunday, and Sunday night it all comes down, . . . and home. I have a little painting to do, and then some pictures to take and post.
I'm at my Daughter's house, keeping her dog company while she's out. Set up the modules Friday at the Kenosha Public Museum, had a great time today. Just about everything went well, and as expected. Ill be back there tomorrow, noon to 5 PM, and then we take down the modules and go home, Another show successfully done.
I have to get home to upload pictures to my computer, process them, and get them posted, That will most likely have to wait till Monday.
When I am back on my own computer, and comfortable with things as they should be. Using an unfamiliar computer, and "program", is an adventure in "uncomfortable" at the very best.
I was surprised, quite pleasantly with all the comments from the folks attending the show. I can only conclude that the new larger "back table", was far more "crowd pleasing", than I was hoping for.
As far as an "orphan", the new "table" has been adopted,fed,clothed,seen the doctor,the dentist, and is well on the way to a long happy life.
I'm calling this one done, as soon as I get the pictures posted.
Glad the show went well, sounds like a job well done Cheers I'll look forward to the photos when you are able.

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life