"New modules"
Here's the shot , looking south, as it is right now. The cut stone abutment for the steel arch bridge can be seen on the right. That wall came from a static display I built for "modeler's night" at the Down East Railroad Club, a rail fan club in Brunswick, Me., in 1968.
By jogging the seawall, I was able to better use the space, for another ship to be added. The "scene divider" behind the roundhouse ( the right hand end of the modules ) is now painted with the "required" sky blue. Back to the left are the three "skyboards" also painted and ready to be installed when I no longer need access to the back of the modules, or show time, whichever comes first.
left center, the 3' gauge 2-8-2 with vanderbilt tender, and a standard gauge tank car, sit on the "back table" track that complete the dual gauge loop.

One of my oldest structures, is on the old module set. I built it from Jack Work's lineside supply shed article in MR, when I was in High School. 1960-1961 this is how it looks now.

P5se Camelback Wrote:Thanks for the update, Sumpter250, you 've been making some steady progress and the workmanship is supurb! Your modules are definitely an inspiration!
Thanks. I finally got into stride with this project, and now I've got the job of making the skirting for the new GCLaser booth, that we've built for this year's Trainfest.......next month (Nov. 12,13,14) in Milwaukee ( fairgrounds in West Allis )
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
The "booth" work is done, and delivered, so back to module building. Started on the back table track work ( it won't run without track ).

Thought I'd throw this in, for those who would like a little "perspective".

This:

Is where I started out in this hobby.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
You've come a long way, S-two-fiddy. And it was nice to see the good ship "Sinbad" getting some use. All the detail in the harbor scene is quite amazing.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Thanks for posting your early layout Pete! I recognize that angular warehouse from a classic old book about building structures that I used to have. There were some nice ideas in that book. It is inspirational to see the way your modeling skills devloped from your early work which looked like a fine and fun layout.
Ralph
That brings back memories, Pete - though your "perspective" seems to have been somewhat better than my own !!! :oops: Bob C.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
I got the boat docks built. They are erected on a 1/4" plywood base. I transfered the drawing to print, and taped the printed sheet to the plywood. Next, to the drill press for some 1/8" holes where the pilings go, then, the board was taped to the water surface on the modules and the hole pattern was drilled in the "water", using the plywood template for position, and squareness. In pic 1, an overall view of the docks with boats in position.

this pic is a high angle shot of the left hand ( North ) end.

The right hand ( South ) end

....and a close up of the North end with the Jenan IV at the dock, the gas pumps were left over from an old "service station" kit that was bashed to fit on the old modules. They'll get some paint, and, if I can find them, some decals.

The "docks" construction went well enough that I'm thinking I'll use the same type of "stringer/planks" for the walk surface on the three walk bridges. I can build up a single ( scale ) 150' walkway, and install it when the third bridge is done, and all are in place. I'll raise the docks just a bit, stain them, and when dry, install them on the module.
One week, two days left until show time........
That is a great dock! I do just wonder how fine the stringers are. I would expect them to be more visible from the angle the photos have been taken.
Reinhard
The stringers, are 2" X 6", it's a walkway, not intended for heavy traffic.
Sumpter250 Wrote:The stringers, are 2" X 6", it's a walkway, not intended for heavy traffic.

Ok, I see. I was mislead by the left most ship. It looks like it will load and unload some cargo to be handled on the dock.

Can't wait to see more docks and ships
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:Ok, I see. I was mislead by the left most ship. It looks like it will load and unload some cargo to be handled on the dock.

Can't wait to see more docks and ships

Technically, at 57' hull length,the "left most" vessel, could qualify as a ship. She is a ketch rig, and a pleasure boat.

Between "common knowledge syndrome", and the ambiguity of the English language, I have to plead guilty to "misleading" you. I spoke of them as boat docks, which carries the connotation of " used for small craft ", where docks, without any "descriptive", would have the connotation of commercial piers, or ship docks.
When I complete the third walk bridge, and get them all installed, I'll shoot some more pics of that area. I have one more arch to build, and then add all the vertical, and diagonal structural members, then the 150' deck, and install on the module.

Each new detail, as I add it, seems to bring up details that I overlooked, like....the transition from land to the boat docks. I built a small section of bulkheading last night, to match the deck height of the docks, and hold back the ground for the approach. The parking area for the docks will actually be to the West of the dual gauge tracks ( not on the modules ) with a walk path across the tracks, and under the deck girder bridges. The bridgetender's access will be from the same parking lot.
Great work as usual, Sir. The pier looks good, and I am always impressed by the details on the boats. The masts and rigging are A-1. Do you participate in any ship modeling forums?

Oh... I did notice the "cargo" on the leftmost ship...
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Gary S Wrote:Great work as usual, Sir. The pier looks good, and I am always impressed by the details on the boats. The masts and rigging are A-1. Do you participate in any ship modeling forums?
Oh... I did notice the "cargo" on the leftmost ship...

" Do you participate in any ship modeling forums? "
Yes, Drydock Models is my current favorite. ( EDIT: 8/11/11 Drydock Models site is gone, I now hang out at Model Ship World. )

" Oh... I did notice the "cargo" on the leftmost ship.."
357 357 "She", does get noticed, but I don't bother her, that's a very large book she's reading....and I guarantee it's not the Bible, It is far more ancient. Icon_twisted Icon_twisted

The third walk bridge is built and painted. All three will now get the wood decking. I have decided to deck them in the manner seen in the photos posted in "Odd Bridge" <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/download/file.php?id=6194">download/file.php?id=6194</a><!-- l -->, By Jim Currie.

I know, I said I would do a tutorial on this third build, but there is too much left to do before the first show that these
modules are going to, and a lot of things had to be "put aside" to get them done. My appologies.

Each bridge has 154 piecesSad not counting the wood crossmembers bolted to the "I"beams, or the deck planking. )
16 rods - 8 in the "bowstrings", 8 in the "bows".
36 plates, where the vertical rods connecting the "bows" and the "Strings", are attached.
14 walkway cross member "I" beams.
72 vertical rods.
16 diagonal brace rods.
The total count of "ironwork pieces" for the three bridges is 462. ( and the shingles seemed the easier work )

The wood crossmembers, consist of a 2" X 4" "filler between the "I" beam flanges, and a 3" X 6" that fits flush with the flange edges, that the deck ( 2" X 6" ) is nailed to.
Confusedhock:
I got exhausted just reading about all those pieces!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
The last two days were spent getting the dual gauge track completed, and wiring the two "module tracks". Last night I finally got a narrow gauge train running on the dual gauge loop. Now for the wiring harness for that loop. The intent is to run narrow gauge, and standard gauge alternately, which will be accomplished with one rail as a common, and power to the other two switched. On the "back table", the two gauges are separated, and can be isolated to permit the alternate running.
Camera batteries died "mid photo", they're on charge as I write this.
Pete, are you going to install "dock bumpers" to protect those boats from wave damage on those docks?