"New modules"
Sumpter250 Wrote:This picture shows the old set being loaded in the trailer.
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

The two "white things" on the trailer bed, at the opening, are shelf brackets. A "shelf" with two bolts in "T"nuts, goes there, and the bolts tighten against a board with a carpet strip on it that goes against the face of the last module. Because the new modules extend all the way to the opening, I can't use this tensioning device, the plan, for now, is to, somehow, rig similar tension-ers ( 6, one per each module end )to the cover, that will hold the modules down, rather that "compressing" front to back. These will have to be installed as each module is loaded, and removed before each module can be unloaded, which will be a bit more time consuming, but I think that will still be the best method of keeping the modules from bouncing around. Twenty years of transporting the old set, shows that the actual trailer motion is not harmful,so if I can keep the modules firmly in contact with the trailer bed, I should not have any more damage.
The real trick here, is adhering to the KISS principle....it has to be effective, but I have to Keep It Simple, Stupid, and make it easy to use.

Looks good. I am glad you found damage only recently (after changes) that confirms the original set up is working well. I wonder if you replace the shelving bracket with t-slot it might make things easier (i.e. when installing sliding braces for each module)?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?p=61646&cat=3,43576,61995,61646">http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/pa ... 1995,61646</a><!-- m -->

Andrew
quote:"doctorwayne"
Sumpter250 Wrote:.....Hey!, I'm a model builder.......
The photos expressed that very nicely. Wink Thumbsup Thumbsup
Wayne.

Thank You Wayne. Cheers
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
MasonJar Wrote:Looks good. I am glad you found damage only recently (after changes) that confirms the original set up is working well. I wonder if you replace the shelving bracket with t-slot it might make things easier (i.e. when installing sliding braces for each module)? Andrew

I have to work within the following parameters:
1. In my photo you'll see that my garage is a "one car" --- the trailer "breaks down", for storage, so the car can get in.
2. I would like, someday, to be able to take all six modules to show. I have to build "cover extensions" for that.
3. Even if I don't, I have to proceed now, as if I was going to, so I can't quit asking.." What If ".
4. When I'm satisfied that I've covered all the "What ifs", I can start building the necessary "hold downs" for the new module set. The process, then, is --What do I need ?, How do I accomplish it?, Ask all the "What Ifs", when they are all answered, how do I accomplish it now ?, OK, make it happen. Smile Wink :o Big Grin

( I should live so long ) Icon_twisted
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
I got some color on the "falls". Next I have to work in the stream "details", and a final "coloring, and then I can start on the "falling water ".

Oh, yeah, that tree just got built, and "planted".
I think what is happenign is that you have the white balance on your camera set tot he wrong type of light. Most newer ones seem to do a decent job on auto but there are also usually 3 settings (I'm assumign a point and shoot sort of camera, not an SLR). One's for daylight, natural sunlight, like for shooting outdoors. The generic 'indoor' setting usually assume cool white flourescent lights and will really mess up the color if you have incandescent lights or just have lots of windows and are shooting in the sun. My suggestion is to first try auto - it probably got inadventantly set to something else.

--Randy
(not a pro at model making OR photography Icon_lol )
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com
I never was a photographer, but, the camera doesn't have "those settings". What I really need is a new camera Sad , but there's too much Month left at the end of the money, these days. :x
So!, I'll just have to do with what I've got, for now at least.
I just got done with a new round of pictures, and was going to post them, and read rrinker's remark about "white balance".
I'll have to see if I can adjust that in photopro.
In the mean time,
The stream has a low level of water, and the rocks have been darkened just a bit more.

"Poems are made by fools like me, but only God can make a tree" - and I'm all the more appreciative of that fact now that my fifth attempt at a willow tree is done, and is still no comparison to the real thing.

far cry from :
The Real deal -

Some additional shots. ( I do have some control of color in the Corel Photo Paint program. I'll have to spend a few days playing with it to learn what does what, and how much )

The North end:

Looking North along the seaport wharf :

The Cask and Anchor, The seaport restaurant :

Looks very romantic. What a nice contrast to all the functional ISL.
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:Looks very romantic. What a nice contrast to all the functional ISL.

Thank You, Big Grin Big Grin
Because it is part of a modular display layout, there isn't a whole lot of "operation", just two loops, round and round. So, I can concentrate on scenic value, and that, at least is "not regulated", like the track placement. Besides, it's a great way to display the ships and boats, and have the "sea" a bit closer, now that I am so removed from it.
This has got to be the most FANTASTIC diorama ever built..!! Worship Worship
Gus (LC&P).
Pete I just now found this thread and I have one word for you, AWESOME! 2285_ Thumbsup Worship
Very nice work indeed!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
"Steamtrains" wrote: "This has got to be the most FANTASTIC diorama ever built..!!"
Big Grin Big Grin yeah, at 30" X 12', it's -------
Cheers

"Tyson Rayles" wrote: "Pete I just now found this thread and I have one word for you, AWESOME! 2285_ Thumbsup Worship Very nice work indeed!"

True compliments are those that come from persons who you consider as equals. Thank You.

Looking at the last set of photos, it occurred to me that the best pictures were those taken where the camera was in " the shade" :? . I'm thinking that I might have to build a "lens shield", so that the camera can only see the light from the subject, and not from everywhere else.
Pete thank you for the kind words! Shading the lens can help, I sent you a PM.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Great looking scenes, Pete. I think that if you "fluffed-up" the top of your willow tree, it would look just fine - you seem to have captured the "weeping" part of the equation quite nicely. Wink Goldth

Wayne