"New modules"
doctorwayne Wrote:Great looking scenes, Pete. I think that if you "fluffed-up" the top of your willow tree, it would look just fine - you seem to have captured the "weeping" part of the equation quite nicely. Wink Goldth Wayne

Yeah, I kind of "underdid" that part, but at the time I thought it would be enough. Still, if you look at the left hand tree, in the shot of the real thing, and compare it to the shot above ( high angle shot of the tree and the boathouse ), I didn't miss by much. I'm a bit reluctant now about ripping it out to add a little more, so I'll have to figure out a way to add to it, while it's still on the module. ( lots of "masking", and covering, of everything else around it, it involves spraying the tree with clear lacquer, after adding the expanded polyfiber, and then sifting the "leaf stuff" over the wet lacquer ).
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
You could probably do it as a separate piece, working on a sheet of newspaper, then plop it in place like a toupee. Since you don't want to have it flop off during shipping (or in a high wind) a few discrete drops of white glue atop the original should do the trick.

Wayne
I've had well over a month to think about that willow.....it will go to Trainfest, and after I get back from that, it gets taken back off the module and " modified ". I'm still not really happy with the hanging branches either. I mentioned the willow to the guys from Woodland Scenics, at the I-Hobby Expo, in Rosemont yesterday.....their response was, "that's a difficult thing to model".
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
their response was, "that's a difficult thing to model".

They were a lot of help! Icon_lol
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:their response was, "that's a difficult thing to model". They were a lot of help! Icon_lol

Yeah, and maybe that's why they don't have one in their product line. Big Grin

Here's one of those times where " voice " carried more message than word can. They sounded "impressed" that anyone would try to model a willow, or surprised.......either way, I got their attention.

Including the willow, there are now seventy trees/ bushes/shrubs, on the modules.....spent the better part of yesterday "growing" more of them.
First, a view of the Brigantine's fore deck, from a " B'osun's chair" at the peak of the Gaff.

The Village and museum, with the added trees.

A look back at the boathouse, with the engine facility in the background, with the added "foliage".

The engine facility, Coal, sand, and water.

and last, Former Sierra Railway #38 on the turntable.

There are a few small details I'd like to get added before Trainfest, but getting at least one of the three remaining sail powered vessels rigged, is the current priority.
Then, Skyboards on, back tables on, and test all the track for operation, before packing the modules for transit to Milwaukee for Trainfest.
Awesome! If it's possible the ships look even better than the train stuff!
Worship Worship Worship
Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Mike

Cheers Cheers

Those boats are real works of art...As is the whole scene... Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).
Steamtrains Wrote:Those boats are real works of art...As is the whole scene... Thumbsup
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Awesome! If it's possible the ships look even better than the train stuff!

....and therein lies the secret of the trick. Each new detail, is but another brush stroke.
Ship modelers will tell you, " one does not build a ship model, one builds models of parts of a ship, and assembles them into a finished model ship.

...One does not build a model of a scene, one builds models of parts of a scene, and assembles them, each part, where it "belongs", until a scene is "right".

Building the models is the "work", the scene the models occupy ? that, is the "art".

A "layout" sometimes has to go without the impact of "scene" because of space, and/or operation requirements. The simple constants of modules, make the creation of "scenes", not only possible, but necessary, to balance the lack of "rail space".
I like, working in the medium.

Many thanks to all for the positive comments..... Worship Worship
All of your nautical waterfront stuff looks fantastic!

However, that tunnel and retaining wall looks lackluster and not up the standards of the rest of your excellent work. Why not replace that awkward tunnel with a girder bridge for more road clearance and realism and then start the retaining wall on the other side? It would look better.
Mileswestern Wrote:All of your nautical waterfront stuff looks fantastic!

However, that tunnel and retaining wall looks lackluster and not up the standards of the rest of your excellent work. Why not replace that awkward tunnel with a girder bridge for more road clearance and realism and then start the retaining wall on the other side? It would look better.

The "awkward tunnel", hides the "construction", supporting the sub road bed, that insures that the track remains level, that far into the module, and, just happens to be where there is a turnout, for the lead into the engine facility.
I played around with the idea of a deck girder bridge, but with five and a half feet of "bridge" already in place, I opted for the
" tunnel " instead. ( in spite of the fact that it was a real bear to construct, the road actually runs at an angle to the tracks in that spot. )
This older shot shows the track, and the " geological anomaly " of the water level to ground level change that occurs at the module boundary.

That area is......."difficult". You are right, though. That "tunnel" isn't as pleasing as I would have liked, but it will last until after Trainfest. Then ?, I'll have to give it a lot of thought, before making any serious changes. A bridge there would make the boathouse more visible from the "spectator" viewing angle, and, would increase the "bridged length" from 5' - 8", to 6' - 4". A deck girder bridge would also hide most of the sub roadbed construction, and still look like a bridge....... yes, a lot of thought..... Smile Wink Smile
Spent the better part of the last week trying to figure out how I could re-do the mainline track supports in the area of the "tunnel", and it would require a major rebuild of that end of the module.....sooooo, the "tunnel" is going to stay.

It may, however, be " given a better face ", but not until after Trainfest.

I have started the rigging of the schooner. Some of the basic iron work is in, and the bobstay, and part of the rigging of the fore stay, from the stem up to the bowsprit, has been done.
an over all shot.

The chain bobstay, and the fore stay rigging.

you can see the chainplates ( 3 ) just by the forward port lite of the main cabin.

This shot of the schooner Stephen Taber, from the web, is what I am using as a guide for the rigging under the bow sprit.

I took a week long cruise in Taber in Sept., 1969. She's 140 years on the water this year ( 2011), and still cruising !!!
Both she, and the schooner Grace Bailey, were built within 20 miles of where I grew up....and a " day or six " before I was born...........although, lately, I'm beginning to wonder about that part........they're not looking as old as I feel. :o Big Grin
Rigging looks so real! Awesome water as well! Goldth Kidding aside that will be a nice looking boat when the rigging is finished.
Mike

Tyson Rayles Wrote:Rigging looks so real! Awesome water as well! Goldth Kidding aside that will be a nice looking boat when the rigging is finished.

Icon_lol Icon_lol

I spent hours on that water, it should look good ! Icon_lol Icon_lol

However far along I get, the schooner will be on the modules at Trainfest. The great thing about an unfinished ship model ???
It's a model of a ship "at that stage of construction/restoration" Icon_twisted Icon_twisted Big Grin
A lot of shows, a little progress ( unreported ) and just yesterday - - - Had the floating pile driver in, and drove the pilings, against the stone block wharf.

The Cask and Anchor - - Before;

- - and after :

There's a bit more trees, bushes, etc. now.
Finally, the lead into the turntable, Roundhouse, and Coal,Water,and Sand facilities: