"New modules"
Tyson Rayles Wrote:The kid's got the right idea ! Cheers

Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Cheers Cheers
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I got the two "cars" for the Marine Railway built last night ! I found two N scale passenger trucks, with metal wheels ( these measure 18" Dia. in HO, and look good under the cars, even with the 10' gauge of the track.
I have to get out and buy some high speed CD, R/W, disks before I can get pictures posted, and there's still some small details that have to be built and added, before painting.
I also need to build the winch, and rig the cable that controls the cars.
Paint, RUST ( it's salt/fresh mixed water ), and a set of cradles that the "Pilot Schooner" can rest on ( it will fit on the cars ! ) :o Big Grin Big Grin
Then the cradles for the 66' yacht that will be the "displayed vessel".
The two cars are joined by a 7" dia., 16' long, steel pipe, the total length will be 55'.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
( it's salt/fresh mixed water ),

Down south we call that "brackish" and it's great for fishing for Snook and Tarpon.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:( it's salt/fresh mixed water ), Down south we call that "brackish" and it's great for fishing for Snook and Tarpon.

Out East, it's called the same, "brackish", there, the fishin's for snappers ( young Bluefish ),Flounder, Fluke, and whatever else happens to get in from the ocean, and survive.
I used "salt/fresh mixed", because I didn't know how widely used the term "Brackish" was.
I took the marine railway car down to the module, and brought the "Pilot Schooner" model just to see how it looked.
Eek Eek WAY TOO BIG !! :o :o
Nope that schooner is not going to get work done in that boatyard.!

So !!
I had built a small scale "Cutty Sark" kit, as an "N" scale Tern. ( three mast schooner ), but never had a place to display it.
It is now the beginning of a 57' Two mast schooner in HO scale. It is also a test project for a later build of the Aurora "Whale Ship Wanderer".
Test project ? you ask? Yes. for a long time now I've had the idea of building "Wanderer" ( a plastic kit ), with a slight modification. I intend to cut the hull at the waterline, Attach a sheet of styrene to the bottom part, and another to the "above the waterline" part, so the model could be displayed, full hull, and also go on the module as a waterline model.
With this new schooner, I have completed the cut, and sheet adding, and now have to figure out how to build a secure, but easily separated hull.
The photos are of the marine railway cars, on a mockup , the winch used to move the cars, and the new schooner posed on the cars, as a full hull model.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Slightly higher angle shot shows the widened hull, the lower( below the waterline ) hull started out as a block of Balsa, I still may do a bit more "shaping" of that.
Most of the deck beams are in, and it won't be too long before I start planking the deck. That, however will have to wait until I figure out a way to temporarily join the two parts of the hull.
This angle also shows the "cars" and the winch a little better.
At 57' ( Length between perpendiculars, or "hull length", She'll be close to 80' LOA, once the main boom is added, and counting the bowsprit ) there's JUST enough "navigation space" to get her lined up with the railway, and still be safe ( OK safe, but only barely, she has to swing way too close to the rolling lift bridge for
The yard owner's, and the bridge tender's comfort, but it is possible ).
When done, this schooner, and the 66' Luxury Yacht will share display time on the railway, and the Schooner can tie up pier side, while the yacht is hauled out.

A little bit of progress with the schooner.
The tug is bringing the newly launched Schooner, to the marine railway, for haul out, and rigging. Where the Schooner has no power on board, the tug is needed to keep her lined up during the hauling out process.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
The cradles on the railway were built at the same time as the hull, and will remain on the boatyard property for any future haul outs. Here, the new Schooner sits on the railway. Her rigging, and hull painting will begin shortly.
(( the paint for the "San Confoundus Fault line" looks like it just might work. that will get done after I get home from Arizona.))
Because of her length, and there being no need for "heavy lifting", the overhead crane has been lifted off the rails and stored behind the shop building. ( mobile crane services were required to get that done......that's a whole "nuther" story :o )

The removable, "below the waterline hull" works beautifully !!!! 2285_ 2285_
It won't be too much longer before the Whale Ship "Wanderer" gets the same "treatment". "Wanderer" will share the berth with the "W.W. Marsland", and will be a full hull display model when *not in port* Smile
Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Mike

September 15th rapidly approaches, and.............. Nope .............this will never :oops: be "completed" by then,
it will, in fact be the last day of a three day train show, at the Racine County Fairgrounds, Union Grove, Wi.. Icon_lol

I will be content to:
1- Eliminate the "San Confoundus Fault line"! 2285_
2- I finally found some "aged Concrete" paint, so the seawalls can be done. Big Grin
3- once painted, the seawalls can get their pilings driven. 8-)

I think I'll be satisfied with that much " done ". 2285_ 2285_
All that remains of the "San Confoundus Fault", is a slight reflection off an edge ( lower left hand corner of photo ). The new blue paint is an almost perfect match for the old paint !!! 2285_ 2285_ 2285_

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The final "land" is built, the house that sat on temporary "supports" is now positioned on the "new property".
The remaining seawall, is built and in place, and the water area is masked so final painting of the seawalls can begin.

Close up of the house, which is kitbashed out of two smaller kits. The roof will get shingles ( strips, not individual -- it is asphalt shingles, not wood ) I haven't made the final decision about trim color, but I'm leaning towards dark Green.

Next step, plaster cloth, then brown paint and grass, then "landscaping" as in trees, bushes, shrubs etc. Sept. 12th ( next Thursday ) is set up for a train show at the Racine County Fairgrounds, the modules have to be "move ready", so I have to leave some time for all the scenery work to "set up" and be movable.
I'll have to print out the support piling plan I used on the bridge tender's tower for the single track rolling lift bridge, and use it to build the tower for the two track bridge. That, will have to wait until after the "challenge" is over.
Worship Worship Worship
Mike

The grass has grown !, The house got painted !, trees, and shrubs are doing nicely.

Now, all the "touch-up", and some more plants etc.
The Bridge tender's tower. Pilings were driven and the tower platform built. The tower itself, got a coat of paint, and tomorrow ( or when the painters decide to get around to it ) the trim paint will be applied.

There's still a walkway to be built from the parking spot to the platform.
This shot overlooks the traveling crane, and the marine railway, and includes the whole South shore of the Lower Kennequogue, east of the last lift bridge.

Same picture, not as closely "zoomed in", and better exposure, shows the Schooner's details, the cradles, and the marine railway's "cars" a little better.

Nice work, Pete (as usual). Thumbsup Thumbsup

I like the colours you used on the house: white siding with green trim, and grey steps and porch floor was a very typical paint choice in many areas. I also like the way you tied those two roofs together in the third picture.

Wayne
:oops: Yeah, the house looks white, but I actually used Polyscale "CSX Tan".
The "tied together roofs" were two separate buildings ( El Cheapo, RTR,plastic ) that I bought in a "Box-O'-Goodies", from a local hobby shop. ( same "B.O.G" that the house parts came in, I sometimes refer to these kinds of buildings as
" Frankensteins " - - - - ( Igor ! vhere did you put my razor saw thees time ?!!! )

I got about 3/4 of the shingles on the bridge tender's tower roof, last night.
A few new photos taken at the recent show in Union Grove, Wi.
The set, on the floor of the "Goat Building" at the Racine County Fairgrounds.

The view past the front of the boathouse.

Looking north across the river to the marine railway and the Schooner, hauled out.

Overhead view of schooner and marine railway

Overhead view of the Cask and Anchor Restaurant, and the "museum visitors" walking around the displays.

The narrow gauge train on the lower level across the front of the module set.

A little more work on the "back" module:
The short walkway/"bridge" to the Bridge tender's tower, is built and in place.

I've adde a few more trees/shrubs, and got the pilings all driven along the "seawalls"